Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Hunting for that Popping Noise (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:55 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Still Hunting for that Popping Noise (help please)

So I posted a thread a couple days ago on hearing a popping/creaking/rubbing noise when I turn my car from a stop.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...t-a-noise.html

I got some good feedback, and I was told the problem is most likely a bearing at the top of the strut. I just disassembled the strut assembly and inspected the bearing (at least what I think is) and I can't seem to find anything that would be making this noise. I saw a pivot point in the swing arm (I believe that is what it's called) that looks like it could possibly be making that noise, but apart from a couple of rubber pieces taken out of it everything seems so be well greased and nothing is dried out.
I'm posting a few pictures of everything, please tell me if anything looks out of the ordinary or seems like it would be a problem (besides being really dirty) Thanks!

(!!!!!EDIT!!!!!!-----Fixed this problem, view page 2-----!!!!!EDIT!!!!!!)

(The strut cap) Seems to be spinning freely, sprayed WD-40 on it anyways.

(The pivot point I had referred to)

(Everything behind the dust shield)

Last edited by whosniffedme; 09-23-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Fixed problem
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

That's your tie-rod end. It has a protective boot that will most likely crack/tear but as long as its greased then it should be fine. One, you should get some of those push-pins for the fender lining just to alleviate that as being a problem. Might try WD40ing the bushings on the front swaybar as well, couldn't hurt...

I think there is a problem with the strut mount (what you call cap) in general on these cars, that causes popping; etc. Might look into upgrading to the GT500 strut mounts (economical) or the Steeda HD mounts (much more pricey). If you can't otherwise find the issue.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Well, after I finish paying off my tuition I'll finally have enough saved up to drop the full Roush suspension on it. Right now I'm just looking to keep everything sound until I do so. I wish they would have just kept putting grease points on these cars. I mean Jesus Christ Ford, have you not gotten enough of my money already?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

With the tie-rod end boot being totally screwed it needs to be replaced (the whole tie-rod end) because dirt and other crud gets down in there and destroys the thing. Also it looks like your lower ball joint has puked all of it's lubricants out onto the lower control arm.

I would pick a new tie-rod end up from your local Auto parts place and replace it. Just count how many turns it takes to remove and then install the new one the same number of turns. You should still get the alignment checked but that will get it close.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
With the tie-rod end boot being totally screwed it needs to be replaced (the whole tie-rod end) because dirt and other crud gets down in there and destroys the thing. Also it looks like your lower ball joint has puked all of it's lubricants out onto the lower control arm.

I would pick a new tie-rod end up from your local Auto parts place and replace it. Just count how many turns it takes to remove and then install the new one the same number of turns. You should still get the alignment checked but that will get it close.
No that's not from the ball joints, that's just from spraying WD-40 on something. I'll check it out, see how it looks.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I just recently replaced my tie-rod ends with Steeda's bumpsteer kit.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
I just recently replaced my tie-rod ends with Steeda's bumpsteer kit.
I'm looking into it. If it's the camber plates, I'll replace those. If it's the tie rods, I'll replace those. But if neither need to be replaced, I'd rather save my money for other things.

Does anyone know if GT/CS's come with factory installed lowering springs? If such a thing exists?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

GT/CS is just the body kit as far as I know, if they were to have lowering springs on them from factory they would be the blue FRPP ones just fyi.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
GT/CS is just the body kit as far as I know, if they were to have lowering springs on them from factory they would be the blue FRPP ones just fyi.
Ok then they aren't, good to know. After I get home from work, I'm going to grease everything as well as I can and reassemble it and see if I can better isolate the noise if it still exists. If not, I'm going to use my friend's air lift so I can figure out exactly where it's coming from.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Okay, so I disassembled everything and cleaned/greased every component. There were a couple of spots where rocks and dirt got built up on the strut, so I got all that off and everything looks/works better.

No more noise as of yet, we'll see how it holds up in the next couple of days. I still might replace those tie rods though...

Quick Reply: Still Hunting for that Popping Noise (help please)