Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to buy new wheels and tires..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 AM
rm2092
1st Gear Member

Buy oem GT500 wheels, you will LOVE them also I have them with 275/40/18 all around with Nitto's
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I had Nitto 555's on my 2005 Mustang GT and really liked them a lot....never had any problems running them in hot, dry, wet, or cold conditions.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
super prone to hydroplaning for me. doesn't have anything to do with whatever driving like a 'grape ape' entails : P
Maybe it's just those crappy Washington roads :P..
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The look is referred to as "aggressive".

You may not notice much if any drop in performance. It's likely a few minor RWHP; perhaps 2-5; and may not even be butt-dyno noticeable. What you lose in performance you double in appearance.
I knew it had a word to describe it, just couldn't think of it.

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
That's my mentality.. I don't really go out into the rain very much unless I have to as it is..

I live in good ol middle GA.. Hours away from everything, ha.
The only time I ever go out in the rain is on going to and from work. Other than that, everything can wait.

Lucky you live there. I take it you don't have to fight Atlanta traffic on the daily. Oh god, that was the worst part about living there.

Originally Posted by robs
I'm rockin the non-staggered 18s with Nittos. Best tire I've ever owned. Hands down. The factory P-zeros were probably the worst...
I keep hearing horrible things about the P-zero's. I don't think i've ever owned a set of factory tires.

Originally Posted by rm2092
Buy oem GT500 wheels, you will LOVE them also I have them with 275/40/18 all around with Nitto's
I did look into the OEM GT500's, but they are a tad bit more expensive, and I personally like the other one's better.

Thanks for your input everyone! I'm probably going to just save up another paycheck or two and buy the staggered 18's with the NT555. Was going to buy just the rims, and buy the tires later, but i'm pretty sure it will just cost more in the end.

It was either buy wheels/tires, or finish buying everything for my suspension. I figured I would get the wheels since they are a lot more expensive than the other parts.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
The only time I ever go out in the rain is on going to and from work. Other than that, everything can wait.

Lucky you live there. I take it you don't have to fight Atlanta traffic on the daily. Oh god, that was the worst part about living there.
No way, and I'm glad too.. I miss living in a city though.. But it's nice being in a quiet area, with some good ol country back roads to open the car up on, ha.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

Maybe it's just those crappy Washington roads :P..
I've road tripped all over the western states and I must say .. WA is better off than a lot of areas

I don't know what it is - my friend, although after I had already purchased them, warned me that his 555's hydroplaned terribly and that he replaced them early because of it. I had the same experience. I wish I could say my experience was a one off but they were super sketchy in heavy rain conditions.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

No way, and I'm glad too.. I miss living in a city though.. But it's nice being in a quiet area, with some good ol country back roads to open the car up on, ha.
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever most of my friends live in the country and whenever I go and see them, I take back roads. There's never any traffic.

I've road tripped all over the western states and I must say .. WA is better off than a lot of areas

I don't know what it is - my friend, although after I had already purchased them, warned me that his 555's hydroplaned terribly and that he replaced them early because of it. I had the same experience. I wish I could say my experience was a one off but they were super sketchy in heavy rain conditions.
If I do buy the Nitto's i'm probably not going to be driving in any rain conditions. I definitely don't want to experience that.

When I bought the car, it came with "NEXEN" tires, and I can't say i've ever had any problems with them, rain or shine. I might look into buying them again, although the first time i've heard of them was when I bought the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Haha, damn that sucks.. I don't know what to say. Maybe I just became adapted to it. Never had any issues like that.. You have the same size as me to (275/35/20) too I think, right?

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
I know exactly what you mean. Whenever most of my friends live in the country and whenever I go and see them, I take back roads. There's never any traffic.
I love it, but then again I really love twisty country roads and hard turns and all that more than just a straight highway blast.. I used to live in the mountains years ago and would blast up and down every so often. I got more of a thrill out of going down the mountain doing 60 pushing the car to edge in a turn than I did going 130+ down a straight..
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

pretty similar. I believe mine were 255/35/20 and 285/30/20.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

I love it, but then again I really love twisty country roads and hard turns and all that more than just a straight highway blast.. I used to live in the mountains years ago and would blast up and down every so often. I got more of a thrill out of going down the mountain doing 60 pushing the car to edge in a turn than I did going 130+ down a straight..
I wouldn't know the feeling of going 130+ on a straight road. Fastest i've ever been in my car is pushing 80-90ish. There's way too many cops on the main roads and the back roads are too curvy to go that fast. Haha.

I'm still pricing out tires, leaning slightly towards NEXEN since they have been great with me so far. Looking at the AM site for my wheels they say I need 255/45/18 for the front and 275/40/18 for the back.

Obviously NITTO makes those sizes, but NEXEN only offers the 255/45/18 size in their N3000 and N7000 models. I want the N7000 but they don't offer the rear tire sizes. Is there a tire size that is very similar that I could buy that would fit the rears?

Originally Posted by NEXEN Website
245/40R18........235/40R18........225/40R18
275/35R18........265/35R18........215/35R18
225/45R18........245/45R18........255/45R18
235/50R18........245/50R18
Those are the only sizes for 18" Rims. Yes/No/Maybe?

Quick Reply: Almost ready to buy new wheels and tires..