MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Cabin air filter change question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/682224-cabin-air-filter-change-question.html)

SkyWitit23 09-24-2012 04:16 PM

Cabin air filter change question

Guys, I just changed my cabin filter; but now im second guessing myself. The arrows that are on the filter "before" I took it out faced the "outside" towards the front bumper, now every DIY I look at says to face the arrows toward the "rear" of the car so was this installed incorrect from jump? I made sure when I took it off to see which way this filter arrow was facing, so am I wrong or did I put it in correct? I faced the arrow toward the interior of the car...I bought a purolator filter, micron filter was taken out... Any ideas?

chub46 09-24-2012 05:23 PM

I just checked mine and the arrow was facing towards the front of the car, towards the front bumper.

SkyWitit23 09-24-2012 05:27 PM

Oh boy so do I turn it around? Why are all the DIY says other wise? Hopefully other guys can chime in, I'm in front of the car now...Could it be that different filters are designed differently?

duckbubbles 09-24-2012 06:21 PM

The arrow on a filter usually indicates direction of airflow. In this case the air is flowing INTO the car.

Frank

SkyWitit23 09-24-2012 06:30 PM

*update*

I just turned it around, the arrow is facing the front bumper now, I need more 2012 up guys to tell me how theirs are setup.

SkyWitit23 09-24-2012 08:35 PM

Anyone chime in? I only reversed it back to put the arrow facing out because it came like that on the car before I completely took it off and another member verified it,but anyone else can check?

Nuke 09-24-2012 08:35 PM

As if it really matters...

If I never drive with my windows open and I wear a dust mask going from the front door to my car, I suppose I'd care about cabin air filter replacement. What a crock... Yeah, they will get dirty but so does a sock hung from your antenna. Better stock up on replacement socks.

Art161 09-24-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 8057296)
As if it really matters...

If I never drive with my windows open and I wear a dust mask going from the front door to my car, I suppose I'd care about cabin air filter replacement. What a crock... Yeah, they will get dirty but so does a sock hung from your antenna. Better stock up on replacement socks.

Nuke, you have posted a lot about a clean cabin air filter not being important. I disagree with you. Forget about whether it keeps the air in the cabin cleaner than it would be in a car designed not to have a filter. The point is, our cars are designed to use cabin air filters. They not only keep the air clean, but they also allow outside air to flow into the cabin. If the filter gets clogged, then it could prevent significant outside air from flowing into the cabin. Sometimes you want outside air, rather than recirculated air, such as when you are using the defroster.

It's kind of like power steering or power brakes. If a car is designed with these power functions, they better work. It's extremely difficult to turn a car with power assisted steering that isn't working properly; it's extremely difficult to stop a car with power assisted brakes that aren't working properly. Drivers got along without these power assists for many years, but the cars were designed that way.

For OP, can't help you. The arrow on the filter indicates the direction of air flow, but I don't know in which direction the air flows.

SkyWitit23 09-24-2012 09:11 PM

I 100% agree with changing it, if its clogged the HVAC system has to work harder number 1..I have bad allergies so this is something I want to make sure is clean, and it was really dirty.. Idunno I don't expect people to take apart their cars to check lol but before I took out my dirty filter the arrow faced the front bumper..So the first time I installed It to face the interior, but now I switch it and put the arrow facing toward the front bumper rather then the interior ;only cause that's how the arrow was faced before I took it out.

JThor 09-24-2012 11:07 PM

I'm pretty sure the arrow should be facing the interior of the car since that is the direction of the air flow. That's the way mine was faced before I replaced it on my 2010.