Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tune or not to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Hammermill
1st Gear Member

Default To tune or not to tune?

I am new to this whole computer tuning thing. The only other sports car I have had was a 1972 Mach 1 and I can assure you there was absolutely no computer tuning involved. Could someone please explain what kind of norable increases in preformance they actually experienced since tuning thier manual tranny 2005 GT? This would be with the tuner only, no other mods. I have heard what could be improved but I need to know some more concrete evidence before I go out and purchase anything. Thank you for your help.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:08 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: To tune or not to tune?

I just got done installing the sct and c&l. It was very simple to install 30 minutes tops and thats with drinking coffee in between. Car is alot more responsive and pulls harder. It also sounds alot better. It was amazing how simple it was for such a big difference in performance. If you're going to do the tune, you might as well do the air intake to un-clog the air way into your throttle body.
I got mine from www.brenspeed.com excellent customer service and if you have any questions he is there for you to walk you through it.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hammermill

I am new to this whole computer tuning thing. The only other sports car I have had was a 1972 Mach 1 and I can assure you there was absolutely no computer tuning involved. Could someone please explain what kind of norable increases in preformance they actually experienced since tuning thier manual tranny 2005 GT? This would be with the tuner only, no other mods. I have heard what could be improved but I need to know some more concrete evidence before I go out and purchase anything. Thank you for your help.
THe stock tune is running insanely rich...the aftermarket tune just optimizes your air/fuel, spark etc. for peak performance. Also, throttle response is improved and my fuel economy has increased to about 23.5mpg on the 94 octane tune. I was very pleased with the performance. it is a noticeable difference.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
airfoil
I ♥ Acer

I dido all of that. Ford gives a ton away I think just to meet calif. emissions. I would go with the diablo tuner. You can download
new programs as the come out and upload them to you're own car. I have done way to much to this car but to give you an idea the
first program was R18 then 20 then 22 now I'm running R24. It gets better every time. Gotta love that.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Air I like your rims who makes those rims and what size are they, do ya if they come in 17's for the Stang.

Do ya happen to have a photo of the side of the car you can post?

Nice looking car!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 PM
airfoil
I ♥ Acer

Sorry don't have a pic just from the side. The wheels are from Ford Racing. They are the 2005 Cobra wheel with the snake in the
center.Be sure to get 2005 wheels the off set is I think about 2" different from the 2004.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Hammermill
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info, it really helped me make up my mind. I will most likely go with the Diablo but I may or may not get a CAI. I am saving money for a SC so every little bit counts.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

If it counts for anything... I ordered my Preditor yesterday!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Hammermill
1st Gear Member

Well you beat me too it. Got too drunk last night to see the computer screen to order mine. How much did you end up paying?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: To tune or not to tune?