Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe Horsepower Number for 2013 GT?

Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Safe Horsepower Number for 2013 GT?

Well, I've only had the car for one month now and ready to add more horses. It never ends! On my 2010GT I was told to stay within 400-430hp to keep it safe. What about these 5.0's? I want to keep it conservative and low boost. This is not a track car, just a weekend stop light to stop light beast. I had fun with a new SRT8 charger yesterday and I was actually pulling away from him! I was surprised because his car sounded like an animal and I was impressed with the new Charger body. Back on topic, this car needs to be reliable while I finish grad school, so please let me know what number and brand is safe for this car. Thanks!

Edit: Just looked up the specs for the 2012 SRT8 and it shows 470HP. Good God! How was I pulling on him! Has to be driver error! These 2013 Stangs only have 420HP!

Last edited by JB04GT; 09-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You could have definitely gone a lot higher than 400-430 on your 2010 by the way if that was crank power..

On the 5.0, I've heard 650 crank is about where you wanna go on stock.. Could probably go a little higher but I think that's pretty good as is.. I assume you're wanting to S/C yours?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Yes, supercharger is going in at the tune of $7000 from Galpin Motorsports. 650 crank is safe on these? If that's the case, I have nothing to worry about! I am trying to keep my warranty as close to intact as possible. The only way to do that is to have the dealership install a Roush SC!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JB04GT
Yes, supercharger is going in at the tune of $7000 from Galpin Motorsports. 650 crank is safe on these? If that's the case, I have nothing to worry about! I am trying to keep my warranty as close to intact as possible. The only way to do that is to have the dealership install a Roush SC!
Hmmm, I didn't know you can do that with the Roush.. I know you can with the whipple (FRPP whatever).. But yeah, there's a few peeps runnin around with 570-580 to the wheel (about 650 crank) with no issues.. I imagine though with a dealer install and tune you probably wont see anywhere near that, but it will still be a nice bump. Probably 500 wheel I'm thinking..
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Hmmm, I didn't know you can do that with the Roush.. I know you can with the whipple (FRPP whatever).. But yeah, there's a few peeps runnin around with 570-580 to the wheel (about 650 crank) with no issues.. I imagine though with a dealer install and tune you probably wont see anywhere near that, but it will still be a nice bump. Probably 500 wheel I'm thinking..
Trex, you are right! It's the FRPP supercharger! I was thinking Roush because that's the route I was going to take on the 2010!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Awesome.. post pics of that bad boy after the install.. You'll be happy with it..
Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'd like to see frpp warranty a broken rod or ring. I bet it would be an uphill battle. If you want to keep your factory Ford warranty, then don't have a blower installed.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JB04GT
Well, I've only had the car for one month now and ready to add more horses. It never ends! On my 2010GT I was told to stay within 400-430hp to keep it safe. What about these 5.0's? I want to keep it conservative and low boost. This is not a track car, just a weekend stop light to stop light beast. I had fun with a new SRT8 charger yesterday and I was actually pulling away from him! I was surprised because his car sounded like an animal and I was impressed with the new Charger body. Back on topic, this car needs to be reliable while I finish grad school, so please let me know what number and brand is safe for this car. Thanks!

Edit: Just looked up the specs for the 2012 SRT8 and it shows 470HP. Good God! How was I pulling on him! Has to be driver error! These 2013 Stangs only have 420HP!
I can't offer much on to your power questions as I'm still waiting to receive my car. But I can offer some info on the SRT8. Most likely it wasn't driver error as they weigh much more than the Mustang and they have a crappy 5 speed automatic, which is outdated and lacks in all manners of performance. They are sweet rides though, gotta give them that. I know I used to take down the previous gen SRT8's with my G8 GT which was always fun.

Keep us updated on your progress with your car, got any pics?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I'd like to see frpp warranty a broken rod or ring. I bet it would be an uphill battle. If you want to keep your factory Ford warranty, then don't have a blower installed.

As long as the blower is Roush or FRPP than it is warrantied by Ford as long as it's done at a certified Ford dealership and you'll be getting in the 600-650 range for sure. When it's done that way than it falls into your normal warranty. If anyone can tell you it's me. I actually work at a Ford dealership who sells and installs those superchargers and that question is thrown at me consistently.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
As long as the blower is Roush or FRPP than it is warrantied by Ford as long as it's done at a certified Ford dealership and you'll be getting in the 600-650 range for sure. When it's done that way than it falls into your normal warranty. If anyone can tell you it's me. I actually work at a Ford dealership who sells and installs those superchargers and that question is thrown at me consistently.

I'd like to see it in writing, so post a link. frpp was offering a warranty for the 4.6 with their non-intercooled whipple kit, but it was not covered by ford. There was no warranty offered on the 500hp intercooled kit.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...66-mgt624d.htm

525 crank hp kit comes with a 12/12 warranty, but that's not ford warranty. You can pay for additional 3rd party warranty, but I wouldn't rely on that if you blow your motor.

If your dealer is telling you that you will keep your factory warranty if they install it, then I would get that in writing and signed by the general manager. Good luck getting that.

Last edited by moosestang; 10-01-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safe Horsepower Number for 2013 GT?