Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Endgame: part 1

Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Just got a vid of the first startup after the built motor swap.

I pick it up Friday to start on the break-in miles.
It is such a nice car! Cant wait to see more videos
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 20binafd
Science isn't about *why* - it's about *why not*. Why not *marry* safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because *you are fired!*
WTF are you talking about?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
WTF are you talking about?
Is joke
Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Great thread thx for the pics and vids of the build!..subscribed
Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Did you ever get any pics of the finished turbo intakes and the finished exhaust? I was curious to see that but never saw any pics, or the one guy's question answered about how they ended up doing the turbo intakes.

Cool setup...I had a Turbo Coupe before I got this car, and while boost is stupidly fun, I got so tired of dealing with the turbos that I started to hate having one. I kept having issues with them pushing oil past the turbine seal and smoking, even with a split ring seal which is supposed to be almost leak proof. Not sure what the problem was but it was infuriating. If I could get a reliable setup like that yours I could consider it again. I like the idea of the turbo using grease instead of oil...no drain to deal with! I'm curious as to how that works though since turbos spin around 80-100K RPM's.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Did you ever get any pics of the finished turbo intakes and the finished exhaust? I was curious to see that but never saw any pics, or the one guy's question answered about how they ended up doing the turbo intakes.

Cool setup...I had a Turbo Coupe before I got this car, and while boost is stupidly fun, I got so tired of dealing with the turbos that I started to hate having one. I kept having issues with them pushing oil past the turbine seal and smoking, even with a split ring seal which is supposed to be almost leak proof. Not sure what the problem was but it was infuriating. If I could get a reliable setup like that yours I could consider it again. I like the idea of the turbo using grease instead of oil...no drain to deal with! I'm curious as to how that works though since turbos spin around 80-100K RPM's.
I thought I had posted all the pics but it does look like I didn't post the one I received with the intake installed. They are installed down low, right off the turbos. I'll certainly get more pics soon as I pick up the car tomorrow to start the break-in.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I've been worried about the whole driveline on this build for the mile trap speed I'm targeting and I had thought I might have to go to a carbon fiber driveshaft... The driveshaft I have is a 1-piece aluminum from Dynotech, specifically their D92 driveshaft that comes with the S197 magnum (Tremec T56 magnum for 05+ mustangs) transmission kit. I couldn't find any info on the critical speed of this driveshaft anywhere, and looking at other brand aluminum driveshafts for the GT and GT500 which showed critical RPM around 9K RPMs, I was worried. The D92 driveshaft is shorter though due to the tailpiece of the S197 magnum transmission (only 39"), which should increase critical RPM. Anyway I took my own advice (that I post often) and just contacted the manufacturer to find out what their D92 critical RPM is, and it is above 12,000 RPMs. So, I would have to get the engine revs up to 7500 RPMs in 6th gear in order to approach the 12K driveshaft critical RPM... This car may never even see 6.5K in 6th.

So, it's great knowing that something you thought you might have to upgrade is good as-is!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 PM
StangLife
Former Sponsor

This will be interesting. Wish they had a mile track here in Central FL.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangLife
This will be interesting. Wish they had a mile track here in Central FL.
We do, sortof, get with oneeyed ***** or boozshey.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

So, fixin' to take it back down to get the real tunes done on Monday. I haven't posted in the way of pix or video since the break-in tune is not much fun. It's a bit lean and not tuned for boost for better seating of the rings. I do know that it wants to get into boost, on a few occasions where I wasn't being careful it went from 10Lbs vacuum to 3lbs boost in a split second.
I took it to a show and it was a bit comical watching the people who were trying to figure out what was going on, tracing the pipes... since the air filters and turbos are not readily visible from the engine bay. I had a dyno chart sitting on the dash and very few actually took a look at it, the few that did had choice responses, and promptly went back to the engine bay to have a closer look.

a couple pics from the show...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Endgame: part 1