Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Ready For the Strip and Then....

Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Angry Getting Ready For the Strip and Then....

So this Friday I'm taking my car to one of my favorite places on earth, Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown. My family races A-fuel, and I used to go there all the time as a kid. I only got to take my old Mustang on a 1/8 mile, and I'm very excited to take a stick to a 1/4 for the first time.

Anyways on with it: whenever I go excessive speeds, once I start slowing down, I can hear a noise. I also took it in for a realignment the other day, and the mechanic said he could hear a noise from the back at low speeds. It comes from the back driver's side, and it sounds something like a metal rattlesnake, or a robot dolphin (let your mind do the work). It's not something that happens all the time, but it concerned me so I dropped the rear axle yesterday to grease/inspect. Me and two other friends looked at everything, and we couldn't seem to find the problem so we tightened everything up after a good grease. I took it for a test spin last night.

No noises from the rear, but a noise started coming from the front left now, what the hell? They were doing roadwork in the front of my hood, so possible it's a rock stuck somewhere, but the noise goes to the speed of my wheels turning. If it's not something it's another right? -_- I know that I need to replace my tie-rods, but I doubt it would be making a noise that goes to the speed of the wheels rotating (edit- it also does it a lot more loudly when I'm turning right, as where it gets much quieter when I turn right. I just took off the tire, still can't seem to find the problem). Even said, I'm about to go to NAPA and have them order a Steeda bumpsteer kit so I can put new ones in before Friday.

So I guess this is a three question thread.
1. Any ideas on the noise coming from the rear?
2. Any ideas on the noise coming from the front? (EDIT:Problem solved, rock in dust shield.)
3. Any tips for taking my car to the track Friday? (if I can GSD and fix it)

Last edited by whosniffedme; 10-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Holy hell at robot dolphin, I almost died.. Have you checked your exhaust to make sure it's clamped down securely.. Sounds weird but mine made a pretty strange sound that came from the same areas you're describing and only at certain times/resonance..

Last edited by TRexGAWD; 10-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

90% chance there is an actual robot dolphin wedged above your rear axle

happens all the time
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Bad spring isolator?

Edit: I can't read. Nvm

Last edited by baddog671; 10-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I actually still have my robot dolphin. Toughest part is finding the robot sardines to feed him.

I'd check the exhaust too, mine made an awful racket until I really clamped it down hard and made sure it wasn't vibrating at any point along the chassis.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Lol at everyone

Okay, so I got the front end noise taken care of. It was a rock wedged in the dust shield from road work, and it was rubbing on each of the slots on my rotors. I guess I didn't look hard enough last night.

As for the robot dolphin, I stuck my hand under both the mufflers last night and pushed up and down on them, and there was a regular amount of slack in them. I just took the car up to a hundred, and didn't really hear much of anything. I heard Mecha Dolphin chirp up a little hitting a bump in the road, but oddly this time it sounded like the right side. I drove over the bump (they're more like little rhythms) again on the left and right sides, but couldn't replicate the noise.

I'm tempted to just borrow someone's GoPro and stick it under my car....
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
deepblue13

Hmmmmm....I'm at a lose. Would have guessed loose exhaust as well.

Wish I could make it out to Royal Purple Raceway Friday...maybe in a couple weeks when I have some time.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

You do live in TX so there could be an actual rattlesnake living in the undercarriage of your car.

what sort of rear suspension mods do you have?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

HAHA @ robot dolphin

Where in TX are you from?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
You do live in TX so there could be an actual rattlesnake living in the undercarriage of your car.

what sort of rear suspension mods do you have?
Hahahaha well I checked, and no snake. I think that problem is only on Shelby's.

I have 0 rear suspension mods, and my car does have pretty high mileage. I did plan on spending all the money I have on suspension, but I have to pay several speeding tickets right now -_- (not even from my car, from my little v6 truck)

Originally Posted by adidasUNT8
HAHA @ robot dolphin

Where in TX are you from?
Magnolia, North of Houston

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting Ready For the Strip and Then....