Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery keeps dying!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stanngg
So, I'm on my 3rd battery on my 2007 Stang! This doesn't seem normal. Use to getting 4/5 years out of a battery on all my other cars, only getting 2 year battery life on this car. Alternator, starter, cables all good. Had the original battery that lasted 3 years. Got another Ford battery that just died today...2 years later! Just put a new Duralast in with a 3 year warrenty this time but tired of buying batteries every 2 years! Am I the only one with these issues?
Originally Posted by Nuke
No you're not. The S197 is notorious for battery drain. It's worse if you do a lot of short distance (less than 10 miles one way) driving and/or sit in traffic (which may be the case because I used to live in Blackwood) with a lot of high power accessories on such as the AC on, lights on and the Shaker cranked up.
Stanngg,

Nuke said it perfectly. The S197s are notorious for battery draining issues. Instead of replacing the battery every few years, a higher wattage alternator will do the trick for you.

The PA Performance Alternator mentioned produces 100+ amps at idle (2000 alternator shaft RPM), and 200+ amps at maximum (6000 alternator shaft RPM).

I hope this helps clear things up. I figured this would help you understand that it's nothing you did and you're not alone lol! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hey gang,

If any of you are currently in the market for a new battery, check out these coupons to save a little cash: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage

As always, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Crystal
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

You lucky!!
Its my third alternator on this car and second battery, for second battery I went for Optima yellow top and get a PA Performance but my error was to get the 130AMP, i should of go with the 200AMP it is only 100 bucks of difference.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

I've had my car for almost 5 years now and I'm on my third battery. I replaced the second one earlier this year. My first battery lasted two years and the previous one lasted about three. I recently had the alternator replaced. If you do long commutes everyday, especially in humid climates, it can take a toll on your battery.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang country
.. If you do long commutes everyday, especially in humid climates, it can take a toll on your battery.
Huh?

Long commutes promote as full of a charge as you can get via the alternator which is BENEFICIAL for a battery.

Humidity has NO affect on a lead acid battery. I believe with you being in Florida that you meant "heat". Heat takes a huge toll on battery life; more so than the torture that a cold northern winter does.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Sure, you could plop down $350+ dollars for a shiny new alternator, then go through the trouble of installing it. Or you could go the route I did when my second battery died, and get yourself a Battery Tender or similar. Make a habit of leaving it overnight on the car every few weekends or so, and you'll be fine. http://batterytender.com/products/au...-at-1-25a.html

Heck, AmericanMuscle.com sells the CTEK 4.3 which is a world renowned company. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ctek-4...y-charger.html

With all the treads about dead batteries, shouldn't we start thinking about a STICKY somewhere, letting people know about the possible alternatives?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:11 AM
Shadowtech

The drain is your Radio. Change it out or pull the fuse to it.

I fought with this on my 2006 for 3 years 2 garages and 4 batteries.
Took the advice of this forum and the problem got fixed.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadowtech
The drain is your Radio. Change it out or pull the fuse to it.

I fought with this on my 2006 for 3 years 2 garages and 4 batteries.
Took the advice of this forum and the problem got fixed.
Suppossedly, beginning in 2007 this problem was solved but that hasn't always been the case with other '05 and '06 problems.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

You must have all your dash controls set to the off position, fan, AC, radio off, lights, everything, before you shut off the car. Otherwise it leaves a relay on and drains the battery. Erik
Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
JimC

I guess I was just lucky with my 2006. Only replaced one battery between April 2006 and December 2010. The alternator held up until I had 187,000 miles on the car in December 2011.

And I never did the "shut all the electrical off before turning the car off" thing. Left the shaker 500 powered up until I opened the door and it shut off as programmed.

The new owner told me he had to replace the starter last month and I know it had over 203,000 miles on it since that is what the car had on it when I sold it to him in June.

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying!