Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery keeps dying!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The battery in my wife's 06 died this past spring; 6 years on her OE battery; and the OE battery in my 07 still starts the car after she sits for 2-4 weeks at a pop. I really think that it's a matter of certain production runs of the battery and/or alternators that is the deciding factor since many, many folks haven't had the problem but such an unusaully higher percentage of owners DO have it. We'll never know for sure.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Optima yellow top.

Simply put, when you deep discharge a normal battery a few times, if kills them. This does not happen on "deep cycle batteries." Any time I found my battery dead, simply gave it a jump start and went for a ride, no replacement needed.

The car was mostly used for short trips, about once per month and sat for 99% of the winter. 11k miles in 3 1/2 years with a 2000w rms stereo system. Pretty much the worst case scenario for a battery.

The next mods if I ever decided were going to be a higher amp alternator and "the big 3." take a trip to google if you don't know what that is.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Cheap batteries last about 2 years. I finally got tired of changing batteries every couple of years and put a Diehard in. It was still in the old car on trade in 5 years later.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Lexkaye

I have a 2008 mustang convertible GT and 2 yrs ago battery kept dying. Had it replaced twice found out it was a short in the battery terminals. Now, almost 3 years later, battery dying! Thank God it's under warranty but hard to believe its just the battery. Anything else I shod check out? Need advice! Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I've had good luck with my little 10 lb. Odyssey for a while now. Car cranks right up even after sitting for weeks. The stock battery crapped out at about 3 years.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Lexkaye

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I've had good luck with my little 10 lb. Odyssey for a while now. Car cranks right up even after sitting for weeks. The stock battery crapped out at about 3 years.
I purchased my mustang new June 2008, had problems and replaced the battery in December 2009. Now AAA is replacing it today under warranty. I had to have a jump last night, unplugged and turned off everything in car, dead 9 hours later!

Hope this works! Anything else I should check? I moved in May so I don't have a regular place to have it checked. Plus I'm a girl w/ a Stang that doesn't want to get ripped off.

Any help appreciated-Thx
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

I think it has to do with the battery that the factory installs when you buy your car. I don't think they are as good as Diehard, Duralast or any other types of battery that you see in an auto parts store.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Which model Odyssey is that? I've been looking into them. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

It's the PC680. Not quite 11 lbs. You have to buy the automotive terminals and mounting bracket separately. Here's a pic of the battery installed:

*Christ, thats a huge pic. Sorry, don't know how to re-size them with my tablet.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's the PC680. Not quite 11 lbs. You have to buy the automotive terminals and mounting bracket separately. Here's a pic of the battery installed:

*Christ, thats a huge pic. Sorry, don't know how to re-size them with my tablet.
Damn! my motorcycle battery is bigger than that. I'm going to buy a shorai battery for the Buell when the Harley battery dies. They weigh 2lbs!

I'm on my 3rd battery. The stocker died at 3 years, the autozone battery leaked and died in less than 3 years, but I'm pretty sure it froze to death. Now I have a battery from oreilly's and it's leaking too!

Last edited by moosestang; 11-02-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying!