Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing clutch/flywheel in the GT this weekend any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:27 PM
AJSpags
2nd Gear Member

Default Changing clutch/flywheel in the GT this weekend any advice?

Well like the title says I will be attempting to change out the clutch and flywheel on my 05GT and was looking for advice from you guys; I have done clutch replacements in about 4 other vehicles but never on this Mustang. Early last week I noticed the clutch slipping as I would get on it. The RPM's would rise and the vehicle would not follow along, so this week I have been taking it really easy waiting on my new clutch and flywheel to come in!!! I went with ACT's products and can't wait to install it. I also purchased a new slave cylinder since I figured it was worth replacing since I have everything apart.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You'll have to remove the motor mount bolts and tilt the motor back or lower the K member to get the transmission to clear the tunnel when removing and installing. Take out the battery and battery tray to get to the top tranny bolts. Not all tranny to engine bolts are the same length, so keep track of where they come from. I assume you're replacing the slave. Use the cap from the replacement slave to cap off the clutch line while you work. (Stuff a little piece of rubber glove in it to help slow the drip as it's not a perfect seal). Bench bleed the new slave before installing. If you're installing a new pilot bearing, google "how to remove pilot bearing using bread". Freeze the new pilot bearing overnight before install. Have a list of preferred swear words available as you will need all of them for this job.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I can't say much about the previous post, but when I replaced my clutch in my 06 I did it on a lift, and the hardest part was putting it back with the different sized bolts. I didn't realize they were different sized, and it sucked, but I realized it after a few hours of frustration, turned an 8 hour job into a 12 hour job :/. make sure you clean the flywheel before you put the tranny back, and bleed the clutch by pumping it a lot before you try to start the car. you don't want the car jumping on ya when you key the starter. Good job on knowing to replace the slave cylinder while the tranny is out. Use the right torque specs, and don't drop anything on you, those are a bunch of heavy parts you are moving/installing.
Good luck! and have fun with it!
Oh, another note, be 100% certain you don't pinch any wires when you cinch down the tranny, start all the bolts, then make sure all the wires are clear before you torque them down. I pinched a few and my reverse lights stayed on until I unpinched them, had to fix the wires later.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i agree with diabolical and tico
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

My advice...pay Diabolical or Tico to do the work I guess the older I get the less I want to turn wrenches on my rides.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You can get to the top transmission bolts without removing the battery, if you have small hands.

I'm not sure you need to lower the motor any unless you have a blower on top of the motor. Turning the transmission 45 degrees to the left helps a lot with removal.

Buy a transmission jack! I can't imagine trying to lift this thing into place.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I have a transmission jack, but with the car on jackstands, I ultimately found it easier to get the transmission out by laying under it with my hands supporting the tailshaft and my knees supporting the bellhousing. I weighs about 130lbs, so if you feel comfortable with handling that kind of weight in a tight space, my method might work. If you have ANY reservations about it, use the tranny jack.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Is that how you get it back up there? I can bench 130, but I only weigh 140, so it could crush me to death.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Yessir, but I'm 6'1 and weigh 240ish.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

advice... if you dont have a lift to do this, dont do it. To me a lot of frustrating cursing yelling time is not worth saving a little money. Thats just me though. How many miles on your 05 before you noticed it slipping by the way?

Quick Reply: Changing clutch/flywheel in the GT this weekend any advice?