Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking at start up coming from dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Drews10
1st Gear Member

Well I havent done anything just yet but I have been messing with which control for the vents is on and so far it does it on everyone.
To add to the ticking now the dome light goes on once I start the car and no my door is not open or anything.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ng-noises.html

A thread I made on the subject of the Actuators (ticking noise you hear).

As far as the dome light, that is beyond my expertise. Though out of curiosity check your passenger floor for any dampness, as well as remove the small plastic door in the kick panel (underneath dash, passenger side) and look for any water damage down there. That is where the Smart Junction Box is located and I've heard of people who have gotten those damaged/wet makes lights/alarms/etc act weird. The lamp lights might be going bad as well? I dunno.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I've noticed this lately, recently with the change of the seasons. Everytime I switch the defroster on/off. It kinda reminds me of a Tommy gun going off when it happens lol
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
I've noticed this lately, recently with the change of the seasons. Everytime I switch the defroster on/off. It kinda reminds me of a Tommy gun going off when it happens lol
Yeah sounds like the defrost mode actuator for you. You can test this simply by locating the actuator (look at the manual in my thread) and unplugging it. Then turn the key on and try to replicate the noise. If it doesn't make noise then you just diagnosed the bad actuator.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

noticed this started happening on my '10 GT as well when I hit the defroster. still under warranty but don't want to take it in for fear they will f up my whole aftermarket head unit wiring set up.

thanks for posting, Menace. worth it for me to do it myself when the weather gets a little warmer.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I noticed my car doing this about a week ago and thought there was water in my dash or something. I'm glad to see that it's not that severe. Thanks for the information!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
pjm435

i change these accuators quite often most of the time it is the temp. blenddoor motor. there not to bad to change can be done without removing the dash. to find out witch one it is try turning the temp from hot to cold and listen for the noise
Old 12-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bones302
noticed this started happening on my '10 GT as well when I hit the defroster. still under warranty but don't want to take it in for fear they will f up my whole aftermarket head unit wiring set up.

thanks for posting, Menace. worth it for me to do it myself when the weather gets a little warmer.
Did it start happening after you installed the aftermarket head unit? That is when mine started acting up (2006) but I am not exactly sure how that affects the actuators. Maybe a wire was in the way of the crank arm or something. Anyway, I doubt much change from the 05-09 to the 2010 so you should be ok with doing it yourself. Check that manual in the link to get a diagram of your car.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Took a little video of what mine is doing

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRCOCIx7Bcg]

Edit: Couldn't get it to embed, sorry

Last edited by So_Cali; 12-06-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Editing Link
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Did it start happening after you installed the aftermarket head unit? That is when mine started acting up (2006) but I am not exactly sure how that affects the actuators. Maybe a wire was in the way of the crank arm or something. Anyway, I doubt much change from the 05-09 to the 2010 so you should be ok with doing it yourself. Check that manual in the link to get a diagram of your car.
happened about a year and a half after the new head unit went in. checked the online service manuals and there is a slight difference among 05-09 and 10+ dashes. in fac,t it is slightly easier to get to 2 of the actuators on the 10+. the third one requires removing the passenger airbag module, so I hope it isn't that one. looks easy enough to tackle one of these weekends.

Quick Reply: Ticking at start up coming from dashboard