Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th gear for highway only?

Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
im sure hitting 2nd hard and spinning a ****load can be glorious
3rd too with a nice BAMA tune!! My Nitto Invo's with 7k on them can't handle the 2nd to 3rd shift on dry, coarse pavement. Recently got sideways a little shifting to 3rd in a straight line after taking 2nd to 6800 rpm's.

So, I got that going for me
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I think it's pretty silly to not use that extra gear when cruising at any speed, again as long as the engine isn't bogging down. When I test drove the 11+ Mustangs their was no problem in the power department in 6th gear, at low speeds. You have a manual for a reason, down shift when you need to get some more power. Otherwise just burn more gas keeping it in the higher RPMs I guess.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 PM
bobtail45

I agree that 6th is more of an overdrive. I use my 13 as a daily driver (until winter) with tune and exhaust and must admit that I will not consider 6th until 60. I do however understand the need to conserve fuel. At my ripe age, this car beats the pants off my c6 vette, 12 370z w/ sport, and even my 71 454 El Camino for those who remember.
This car is meant to be driven, so loping in 6th is not my cup...sorry....I'll dig the h**L out of this until I can no longer drive.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you can use it so long as the engine isn't bogging down. with 3.73s I personally have never really entered 6th unless I am cruising on the freeway - I'd rather stay in a lower gear and have some usable power without downshifting.

I guess I don't care much for efficiency. crappy mpg around town, livable mpg on the freeway.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
I think it's pretty silly to not use that extra gear when cruising at any speed, again as long as the engine isn't bogging down. When I test drove the 11+ Mustangs their was no problem in the power department in 6th gear, at low speeds. You have a manual for a reason, down shift when you need to get some more power. Otherwise just burn more gas keeping it in the higher RPMs I guess.
6th gear at 38 mph is 1000 rpm.. 6th gear at 58 mph is 1500 rpm

that is ridiculously slow accelleration and lack of power, I would never go full throttle in 6th at 38 mph...

I wouldnt accellerate in 6th until about 60-70 mph, even then it will be a whole lot slower than if you were in 5th

I dont think i will ever go full throttle in 6th gear at any speed, especially since 5th ends at 175 mph..

theoretical redline of 6th gear would be 270 mph

Last edited by Andy13186; 10-23-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
6th gear at 38 mph is 1000 rpm.. 6th gear at 58 mph is 1500 rpm

that is ridiculously slow accelleration and lack of power, I would never go full throttle in 6th at 38 mph...

I wouldnt accellerate in 6th until about 60-70 mph, even then it will be a whole lot slower than if you were in 5th

I dont think i will ever go full throttle in 6th gear at any speed, especially since 5th ends at 175 mph..

theoretical redline of 6th gear would be 270 mph
I paid some attention this morning to my drive. Speedlimit is 30mph on the residential roads and I had it in 5th gear. RPMs around 800-900 and if I hit the gas it would still go. Granted its not neck-jerking but that is the POINT of a manual. You downshift. If you're too lazy to go through the gears then get an automatic. No point driving through town or even some highways (40-50mph) at 2500 rpms.

I think a lot of you need to go to the track and get your "spirited" driving fix, because it seems you are getting that on the streets. There are plenty of opportunities on the street to get your spirited driving in, safely. You don't need to run around in 3rd gear at 40mph just so you can tap on the gas and feel a jerk; but it's your car and you do what you want as long as you're doing it safely.

As far as the original Op question is concerned... You can drive in 6th gear at any speed as long as the engine is not starving, as mentioned previously.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM
bobtail45

Sorry, but if there is a need to lope this car because gas mileage is a concern, might be better of with another vehicle. I do not break the laws but the gt is a car people purchase for more than mileage. It's a nice piece of engineering and should be enjoyed appropriately. Driving at 55 in 5th is not breaking the law where posted, it's just enjoying a very good example of an affordable piece of automotive engineering. And my past was engineering in defense and automotive.
Ford did a darn good job with this model....and yes....there is always room for improvement.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobtail45
Sorry, but if there is a need to lope this car because gas mileage is a concern, might be better of with another vehicle. I do not break the laws but the gt is a car people purchase for more than mileage. It's a nice piece of engineering and should be enjoyed appropriately. Driving at 55 in 5th is not breaking the law where posted, it's just enjoying a very good example of an affordable piece of automotive engineering. And my past was engineering in defense and automotive.
Ford did a darn good job with this model....and yes....there is always room for improvement.
Obviously you missed everything I said, but that's ok.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Rice_Killa
2nd Gear Member

I use 6th gear everyday in the city with no problems. I mostly drive around 50mph. All a matter of opinion and preference
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
You can't use 6th gear except on the highway. Attempting to do so on any other surface will cause the car to spontaneously explode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th gear for highway only?