Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car possibly burning motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Default car possibly burning motor oil

I don't drive my car very often, but noticed a while ago that it was low on Motor oil, changed the oil and didnt think about it too much. I checked it yesterday after a drive and it was just below the minimum. I am currently using 5-20 synthetic oil. ( whatever it says on the cap)

Should i use different oil? and what signs would it show if it was burning Motor oil?

Vehicle has 73K on it. Its a 2005 with bbk headers, offroad xpipe, CIA, and tune.

Thx in advance
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

How many miles since the oil change. You got everything tightened, oil filter tight, drain plug as well. These cars will chew up some oil over time through the pcv system.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How often are you checking it? Some people check it on rare occasions and freak if it's any different from the previous time. Oil level can fluctuate with how level the car is, temperature of the oil, improper insertion of the dipstick, etc. Also, not everyone that has a shop do their oil change will monitor the oil level after getting home to ensure that the shop properly filled their engine. What some people think is a leak turns out to be a low level from the get-go.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
How many miles since the oil change. You got everything tightened, oil filter tight, drain plug as well. These cars will chew up some oil over time through the pcv system.
I wanna say about 2000 miles but was about 7 months ago. I drive the car about 1 maybe 2 times a week and sometimes it sits for 2 weeks straight. I have taken it once to the track since and i do get on it when driving it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
How often are you checking it? Some people check it on rare occasions and freak if it's any different from the previous time. Oil level can fluctuate with how level the car is, temperature of the oil, improper insertion of the dipstick, etc. Also, not everyone that has a shop do their oil change will monitor the oil level after getting home to ensure that the shop properly filled their engine. What some people think is a leak turns out to be a low level from the get-go.
not gonna lie, i hardly check it. The reason is because of how little i drive it.

I will change the oil tomorrow and monitor it from the start and see what happens.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steven Bannoura
not gonna lie, i hardly check it. The reason is because of how little i drive it.

I will change the oil tomorrow and monitor it from the start and see what happens.
Good start. I suggest you check it after it has sat for a few minutes immediately following the oil change, then cold wherever she sits whenever you have the chance. A small amount of oil useage is considered normal and there are some here that have to add oil between oil changes. In my case, I see little oil level change, if any, in a 1 year or 8,000 mile time frame (I hardly drive my Stang anymore).
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Steven Bannoura
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Good start. I suggest you check it after it has sat for a few minutes immediately following the oil change, then cold wherever she sits whenever you have the chance. A small amount of oil useage is considered normal and there are some here that have to add oil between oil changes. In my case, I see little oil level change, if any, in a 1 year or 8,000 mile time frame (I hardly drive my Stang anymore).
well i got the most expensive filter for it now and going to use 10-30 semi synthetic oil ( high mileage oil) . I have a trip for about an hour Monday to dyno tune it, then i will check and see if its still having issues. My technician noticed white smoke coming out when getting on it and he suspects that its actually burning oil . He also said changing to a heavier oil might be the fastest and cheapest way to fix the problem
Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd have gone with a 5W30 but what the heck...

The Motorcraft filter is about as good as you need providing you don't go much beyond 8k miles between oil changes like I used to (or still would if I was driving the Stang like I used to). Checking it weekly regardless if you drive it or not is my suggestion to getting good info.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
2008saleen

Dont use thicker than specified oil in these 4.6ers. The oil pumps do not pump it very well. You need to stay with the 5w30 or 5w20.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

10w30 will be fine. I used the stock oil pump on my blown/stroked 4.6l, pumping 10w30 conventional, and it worked just fine.

Quick Reply: car possibly burning motor oil