Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressue Belt Broke

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Default Tire Pressue Belt Broke

Hello All,

Today i went to change my tires, everything was ok until they broke one tire pressure belt, I called delearship and they sell only the belt at 100USD which I think is expensive.

I spoke with the tire person and they will get another belt and will put it on the wheel.

My question is how safe is to drive the car without the belt ?
The Tire Sensor is glued or fastened to the wheel but I'm not sure if this is safe. For another tire the belt is loose.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If the sensor comes loose it will rattle around the inside of the tire and get damaged. If you think the band is expensive, wait until you price just one sensor! Even after market it's over $60 bucks each.

Go to Amercian Muscle, they sell the Bands for way less than the dealer.

Personally, Im ditching the bands and band style TMPS to go with Valve Stem style sensors $160 for a set of 4 that are compatible with 07-09 mustangs and no more stupid bands, double sided tape, and mounting brackets. I had a TPMS that went out and i'm getting new tires this weekend so I opted for an alternative long term solution.

AM sells the valve stem style sensors for our cars but not the band style.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

^+1 Americanmuscle.com sells them (the band and bracket) in packs of two for like $30. That dealership is ripping you off, unless they're getting a new sensor with the bands lol and even then it should stay below $70-80.

I am not sure if glue is a safe option for long term, since if the sensor comes loose at high speeds you're going to damage the sensor, and probably also the rim/tire. I doubt it will cause a blowout, but definitely not going to be good.

But since you said it was a temp solution, you should be okay. I would have just told them to take the sensor off until they got the new bands, but that's just me.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
^+1 Americanmuscle.com sells them (the band and bracket) in packs of two for like $30. That dealership is ripping you off, unless they're getting a new sensor with the bands lol and even then it should stay below $70-80.

I am not sure if glue is a safe option for long term, since if the sensor comes loose at high speeds you're going to damage the sensor, and probably also the rim/tire. I doubt it will cause a blowout, but definitely not going to be good.

But since you said it was a temp solution, you should be okay. I would have just told them to take the sensor off until they got the new bands, but that's just me.

Hello

We did not use glue for the sensors, I don't know how the sensors came from Ford but the band is broke and the sensor is still in the wheel, so i think that is how it comes from Ford.

When the guy remove the tire the band broke but the sensor remain in the wheel. How does it comes from fabric ?

It is the band that got broke not the sensor, the sensor is not loose it is somehow attached to the wheel. So am i ok with just the sensor attached to the wheel however it comes from Ford ?

Im in Mexico city we don't have AM =(. So what i tell them is to get another band and secure my sensor.

Last edited by gnrpatience; 11-14-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Hey GN'R, I'm not understanding, if it's not fastened with the tpms band or glued in place then how is it currently attached to the wheel? You sure they didn't put a valve stem tpms in there instead?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
Hey GN'R, I'm not understanding, if it's not fastened with the tpms band or glued in place then how is it currently attached to the wheel? You sure they didn't put a valve stem tpms in there instead?

Hello,

When they removed the tire the band got broke but the sensor is still in the wheel, they said that I already fixed that before and that's why its "glued" or somehow attached to the wheel. I haven't touch the sensors before, that's why I'm thinking the sensors are somehow attached to the wheel and the band is to secure the sensor.

I dig in internet and found the bands that AM sells they are cheap comparing to the dealership. The bad is we don't have AM in Mexico.

So the sensors should fall if the band is broken ?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The bracket for the sensor usually includes a pad, sort of like double sided tape so it IS possible that the sensor is still attached to the wheel. I'm sure, though, that without the band, the sensor and bracket will fly off it's point of attachment. The band simply slips thru the bracket, IIRC.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The bracket for the sensor usually includes a pad, sort of like double sided tape so it IS possible that the sensor is still attached to the wheel. I'm sure, though, that without the band, the sensor and bracket will fly off it's point of attachment. The band simply slips thru the bracket, IIRC.
Hi Nuke,

I think that the sensor has a double sided tape becaue right now my wheel does not has the band on it but the sensor is still attached to the wheel.

What you recommend can i add any other band to support the sensor with no issue ?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Speaking from experience, the double sided tape will only hold the sensor to the rim for a matter of time, until it gives away and then starts moving/rattling around.

You definitely need to get a band reinstalled to secure the sensor to the rim.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on getting a new band and, as stated earlier, AM is one of the places that sells them. I believe you can install most any of the universal bands with the sensor in-place with the tape. It's really a pretty simple design. I think the universal bands from AM are nothing more than a huge hose clamp with a worm gear to tighten it.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressue Belt Broke