Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating Purchase -- 2013 GT Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Mr2013GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buttplug72
Paid just at $31k for my 2013 GT. Premiums run around $42. Owned a premium for a whole 3 days till the check engine light came on with a whopping 270 miles on it. hahaha. Had it scanned and it showed 10 codes. Main code was random misfire #3 and 7 cylinder. #7 cylinder being permanent. Took it back to the dealership and threw a fit until they agreed to take it back. Asked them would you keep a brand new $38k car with a check engine light after owning it only 3 days? I was furious! Mitch (code3GT) said "glad they took it back otherwise sounds like you woulda drove that car thru their showroom glass." And he's right. Lol. Went to new dealership got another GT but basic this time with some premium extras like electric seats, steering controls and SYNC. Loooove it!
My previous 5.0 had a check engine light that would flicker (I could feel the drop in power every time it flickered) and sometimes stay on. It was an issue w/ cylinders #6 and #7 spark plugs, misfires. No biggie. I loved the car to death, but I ended up trading it on a 2013 anyway. I felt like the 2013's were a better package all the way around.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Mr2013GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JK 23112

This is my first post on this forum - just joined tonight - and while I am new here, I am not new to Mustangs. I have had four of them during my adult life, all of which were GT coupes.

My first one was a black 1988, followed by a red 1993 and then a white 1995. I had several years without one and then I eventually leased a black 2008 for two years (turned in at the end of its term back in January of 2010). Every one of them had a five-speed manual transmission -- of course!

It's a pipe dream right now, but I am considering getting a 2013 GT in the next few months. I am really impressed by the reviews I have read about the GT and from speaking with a few folks who bought one. The LED lighting is a cool feature, the 420bhp is nothing short of awesome and Ford finally saw the light and upgraded the transmission to six gears!

I can get what seems to be a decent "target price" on one through my credit union; and I have my own financing through them. I will not be trading in another vehicle for it, either.

Anyhow, if any of you have a '13 GT, I am interested in hearing about your experience with it - from initial purchase & the sales process to driving, maintaining and servicing the car. Would you recommend the GT or buy another one in the future? Is there anything you don't like about it? Do you regret your decision at all?

Thank you all for any replies!

My 2013 is running smooth. I've got 9,700 miles on it now. I gradually broke it in for the first 1,000-1,500 miles, got the first oil change early, just went on a cross-country vacation to Florida and back for thanksgiving, ran flawlessly. Put almost 2,500 miles on it in a week.

I have to say, the Brembo package has already saved me from a crash, and the package itself is not just brakes, its stiffer springs with different shocks/struts, wider/stickier 255-40-19 Pirelli Pzero summer tires and GT500 rear lower control arms, which really help alot with wheel hop. 100% worth the extra cash. In fact, i'd go so far as to say the Brembo package is a steal, for what you're getting. You'd easily pay twice as much to get everything aftermarket.

Mine's a premium, so it has the little lcd screen, and my only issue with the ENTIRE car is the fact that it has an accurate air/fuel ratio/voltage etc. readout in gauge mode, an accurate fuel economy mode, odometer mode etc. and it will time you from 0-30 mph, 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph and also your quarter mile, and even give you a tree for your launch, but it doesn't have an accurate oil temperature OR oil pressure readout. It just says "low", "normal", or "high" for both. I think we should all write angry letters to Ford and demand that they offer free programming/integration of a second-by-second accurate oil temp/pressure readout in gauge mode. It's a high-performance muscle car in the 21st century. We should be able to see what our oil temps and pressures are!

Other than that, the car is a BEAST, i'd definately recommend a premium with 3.55's or 3.73's out back if you do buy one, along with the Brembo package at the very least. It's cheap insurance and the car gives you alot more confidence at high speeds.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM
JK 23112

I would NOT be getting the Brembo brake package. First of all, it costs a lot more. Second, I actually like the "cheaper" wheels that come standard on the Mustang GT. Not only do I think they look better, but they are easier to keep clean, the car will ride better and the tires are less costly to replace when the time comes to do so.

If I get a new GT, I'd get the Deluxe (base) version -- either medium blue or bright white and with a black cloth interior. I'd order it with the rear spoiler deleted, if possible, for a 'cleaner' appearance. The 3.15:1 axle ratio is just fine for the GT, especially with a six-speed manual transmission. Most of my driving will be on the highway, so the improved fuel mileage will be nice. (My leased 2008 GT had the tall axle gearing and would easily get 26 to 27 miles per gallon on the highway at 70+ mph speeds.)

Since visiting this forum, I found out that the 2014 Mustang will be out in late April of 2013 and the redesign for the 2015 model will be released in April of 2014 -- so as to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of the 1964 1/2 Mustang that started it all.

I guess I had better start saving some money!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr2013GT
Try holding the brake while holding the traction control button for 5 seconds, it turns everything off.

When I got my previous 5.0 last year (traded it on my 2013) I left the dealership and ran it to the governor, DID NOT like the steering at all and wondered why Ford had given us 412 hp with loose steering. Come to find out (a month later) it does have sport steering. I loved it, I haven't used comfort or normal or whatever since then, with either of my 5.0's.

The cool thing is, the electronic steering feels tighter the slower you go, and if you go fast, it sort of gains a bit of response and feels less tight, I take that to mean Ford wants us to drive fast? With the old hydraulic steering, it got tighter the faster you went and felt loose in parking lots and such.
SPort steering is awesome. My black 2012 GT had it and it was the only setting I used. The 2011 had no adjustements at all, so it took some getting used too. the 2013 SGM, it has it and it is ON.