Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
dahna85

Default Idle Issues

I have a 2006 GT and I am having problems with the idle when the car is cold. It only happens when it is sitting there and when i push in the clutch. (its a manual 5-speed). When I start it up first thing, the RPMs drop down to about 400 and some times even lower, causing it to die. And when I'm driving and and come to a stop and push the clutch in the RPMs go down to about 400 and then come up to 1000 nad it does it over and over until I come to a complete stop. I've been looking into maybe cleaning my IAC valve. I checked prices on a new one and I just dont have a budget for it right now. I also looked in to TSP also. Still alittle pricy for that valve.

So I was thinking about cleaning both valves, but I don't know if they are cleanable.

Need ideas as to what it might be.

Thanks for the ideas!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

It maybe a dirty Throttle Body (TB) and/or dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). You can purchase TB cleaner and (MAF) cleaner at a local automotive store, such as Autozone, Advanced Autoparts, Pep Boys and etc.
In order to clean the TB, you will need to take the air intake inlet tube off the throttle body. Spray down with TB cleaner and wipe clean with a rag. In reference to the MAF sensor, it is also located on the intake inlet tube and you will need to unscrew, pull out and spray down with the MAF cleaner. Do NOT touch the front of MAF sensor with your fingers.

How to clean TB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMa...=results_video

How to clean MAF air Sensor

If this does not resolve the issue, you could have clogged fuel filter. When is the last time you had your fuel filter changed?

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on cleaning the TB first.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on cleaning the TB first.
X2 on cleaning the throttle body. Not to bust on Kevins's post, but unplug the harness remove the 4 bolts, and clean the TB with it off. I have found that you can do a lot better job going that extra little route with far better results. Spray cleaner on a rag and wipe down the intake as much as you can. You can clean an IAC with good results. I have done so, just make sure that when you clean it out that the spool is able to move freely. Again, not ******* you Kevin as much as I am adding my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by mapitts; 11-28-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
X2 on cleaning the throttle body. Not to bust on Kevins's post, but unplug the harness remove the 4 bolts, and clean the TB with it off. I have found that you can do a lot better job going that extra little route with far better results. Spray cleaner on a rag and wipe down the intake as much as you can. You can clean an IAC with good results. I have done so, just make sure that when you clean it out that the spool is able to move freely. Again, not ******* you Kevin as much as I am adding my 2 cents worth.
No offense taken. The video shows how to remove the TB and clean it. =-)

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Had the same problems with idleing. Cleaned the TB about two months ago and the idle hasn't gone up or down 100 rpm since.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
dahna85

Thanks for the ideas! I just cleaned my MAF and took my throttle body and cleaned it as well. I also am cleaning my air filter too. My throttle body had some pretty good junk in it. My MAF didn't look dusty or anything. I won't know if any of this helped until my filter dries and I can put it back on. I will keep y'all posted as to what happens! Thanks again!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 AM
dahna85

Well my idle is good now, but my throttle response is slower now. If im sitting there and I go to goose my car she doesnt respond like she should. It seems she might be dumping more fuel or something like that. Also driving the throttle response is not good. I have to give it alot to get the lead out of her ***. I dont know if she doesnt know how to run with a super clean throttle body now since its been 6 years Ive driving the without cleaning it until now. She has almost 90k miles on her. This is my only car and she cant be giving me problems. If anyone else had issue after they cleaned the MAF and throttle body, please share and lets see if we can help each other! All help is greatky apperciated!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Do a search on how to recalibrate your throttle. It is easily done, I just can not remember how to do it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've haven't come across any negative posts in regards to people that cleaned their throttle body and cleaning MAF sensor. I had no issues.
Try disconnecting the negative battery for a bout 30 min., reconnect and let the car reset itself. This may help!
Whens the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Get some Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, put in the tank and fill up the gas with the highest octane available in your area. You can purchase the Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner at Walmart or Advanced Auto stores.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Idle Issues