Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my new Mustang GT... I have questions (Gas grade, MS Sync, Tuners, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
roushluver

Dude welcome to the world of S197 ownership, I've loved every minute of it personally! My favorite so far is the MyTrack App, I love to try and best my acceleration numbers. Check out the accelerometer for a record of the highest lateral g's the car has pulled but of COURSE only when safe to do so lol. Do you have a manual or auto and do you have the Shaker Pro? Cuz the other stuff I could tell you defends on that lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The PCM in the 5.0 can adjust for the different octane fuels but not in the same manner as it would with a good custom tune. IIRC, you're talking roughly 5-6 RWHP with each change from 87 to 89 to 93 on the stock tune.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang

On second thought, if you are going to drive like an old lady to and from work and never use wide open throttle, then run 87 all day long. Go ahead and wrap a rubber band around your nuts, cause you don't need them! lol!
Wow. Sounds like someone is over compensating for something here guys.

Last edited by Spork3245; 12-02-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by roushluver
Dude welcome to the world of S197 ownership, I've loved every minute of it personally! My favorite so far is the MyTrack App, I love to try and best my acceleration numbers. Check out the accelerometer for a record of the highest lateral g's the car has pulled but of COURSE only when safe to do so lol. Do you have a manual or auto and do you have the Shaker Pro? Cuz the other stuff I could tell you defends on that lol.
I got an automatic (blah blah blah, I know, I have a bad wrist and the constant shifting was starting to get to me on my '01 so I said "screw it" ), it has the "sports mode" that allows for manual shifting via the buttons though. I have the shaker audio, I'm not sure if it's the 350 or the 500 though, but it definitely sounds nice... First time I won't have to re-do all of my speakers lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245
Wow. Sounds like someone is over compensating for something here guys.
No, I just think it's stupid to buy a 420hp mustang and try to run low oct fuel to save $5 a tank.

If you need to save that much on gas, then maybe you should have purchased a cheaper car that gets better gas mileage.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The car doesn't magically know what octane fuel you are using. There is no such thing as an octane sensor. It senses knock from the knock sensors and adjusts the timing. I'd be running the highest octane fuel possible to prevent it from sensing anything.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
roushluver

Originally Posted by Spork3245
I got an automatic (blah blah blah, I know, I have a bad wrist and the constant shifting was starting to get to me on my '01 so I said "screw it" ), it has the "sports mode" that allows for manual shifting via the buttons though. I have the shaker audio, I'm not sure if it's the 350 or the 500 though, but it definitely sounds nice... First time I won't have to re-do all of my speakers lol.
I have the auto as well no excuses though I just prefer it. In case you don't know this you can press the traction control button for about 5 secs while also pressing the brake and it takes off Advance Trac and stops the car's computer from killing the throttle when you lose traction. Let me tell you the fun factor goes up a lot with Advance Trac off!

I just upgraded to a 2013 gt after having a 2005 and it's like a whole new car when you compare stock to stock. My old one has a 91 octane Brenspeed tune and I cannot wait to get the 2013 tuned cuz the difference on the 05 was night and day!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
No, I just think it's stupid to buy a 420hp mustang and try to run low oct fuel to save $5 a tank.

If you need to save that much on gas, then maybe you should have purchased a cheaper car that gets better gas mileage.
I'm guessing you missed it when I said I had a tuner on my previous Mustang, which means I had to use premium there as well. I also got ~18mpg on my '01 GT with the tuner, so going up to my current 23.3 avg is a welcome change when using the same gas grade as I previously was. I'm mostly more curious than anything as I may as well just use regular if the mpg will stay the same and the performance difference is not really noticable - That is, use regular until someone answers my programmer/tuner question and I go ahead and purchase one
Also, the mpg increase with the tuner is more of a "mental justification" than anything else, fyi
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Eric L

I have a 13 gt and tried a tune or two. I have to say that i was less than impressed. From what everyone says it should be a noticeable difference but i didnt feel it. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the 13 is rated at more HP than 11's and 12's. The factory tune is different for the 13, maybe theres not that much left to improve or manipulate. I am going to have the car dyne tuned this saturday to see what, if any, improvements can be made. For now i can say that generic tunes dont make that big of difference on my 13. Just my experience.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric L
I have a 13 gt and tried a tune or two. I have to say that i was less than impressed. From what everyone says it should be a noticeable difference but i didnt feel it. Also worth mentioning is the fact that the 13 is rated at more HP than 11's and 12's. The factory tune is different for the 13, maybe theres not that much left to improve or manipulate...
You have a point. The '10 GT was rated 315 crank HP compared to the 05-09 GT's which were rated 300 crank HP. All Ford did was tweak the tune on the '10 (the same tune as the Bullitt) which resulted in less "bang" when custom tuning the '10 as opposed to the 05 thru 09. But IMO, the '13 5.0 should still see about 17-22 RWHP gain assuming it's a good Brenspeed or AM tune and not another Ford "attempt" at a tune.

Quick Reply: Just got my new Mustang GT... I have questions (Gas grade, MS Sync, Tuners, etc)