Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after engine rebuild car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 PM
maze

Default after engine rebuild car wont start

Hi Guys,
I rebuild my GT engine, rebored it 5.0 with a forged rotating Kit, while the build i had to change the windage tray coz the original wouldn't fit anymore plus the flywheel and all the little parts in between and the blocked cleaned etc.. now that the engine is all together i cant seem to get the car started, it does sometimes start but for only half a sec..
the compression is perfect, the coils are working, put new plugs, it seems like there is fuel pressure, i sent my injectors to get cleaned and tested!
one small thing is the car reads like there is no fuel, the fuel gauge is zero and the trip tells me there is no fuel..
Please help not sure where to look, and ideas or suggestions?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would check all of the wiring for the fuel pump. Confirm you have the correct tune in the car.

Is the car throwing codes?

Does it have a base tune to run off of?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 AM
maze

it is giving me a code but i think that was when i had the injectors off to see how they were spraying, also when i was trying to start the car not all injectors where spraying at the same time and wasn't consistent either. and it should have a base tune from when i installed the supercharger!
do u think i should re-install the tune and see? would that stop the car from starting?

Last edited by maze; 12-06-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

Does it have a base tune to run off of?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 AM
maze

im not sure to be honest! there was a tune on the car before the work started 6month ago (sct custom tune) so should i re-flash the tune before even trying to start the car?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maze
it is giving me a code but i think that was when i had the injectors off to see how they were spraying
Don’t guess. Get the codes read, then clear the codes and see if they come back.

Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and run a fuel pressure test when the key is in the On position and while cranking to make sure your getting enough fuel.

Fuel injectors aren’t supposed to spray all at the same time. They are supposed to spray in time with the cylinders moving. But since you have verified that all of the injectors are actually spraying fuel, you can rule out an electrical problem not commanding the fuel injectors on.

Good luck...
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM
maze

thnx petrock for the advice...
Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Make sure you reconnected all the engine grounds!

You should really have a new tune for the increased displacement and I assume decreased compression ratio? It may start with the old tune, but I would not drive hard on it. It will most likely throw a lean code with the old tune.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 AM
maze

oh for sure would re-tune the car with the new set-up but would have to start the car first, at the moment the car wont start at all, i will double check the grounding thnx moosestang
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 AM
maze

I've double checked and the engine is grounded and installed a base tune but the still wont start, it cranks but doesn't start! I've installed new plugs but after trying to start it for the last two days they still super clean, what does that mean!! could it be any sensor i've missed or not working?

Quick Reply: after engine rebuild car wont start