Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharge or swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FrostByte
Your a fool then. No way your gonna get 350 NA to that 4.6 w/ those mods you have listed. If you ALREADY had a GT & wanted it 350hp NA then the 5K might be enough to get you there.

Your gonna find out why this isnt done much w/ this engine.

You didnt listen to the experts so your gonna learn one of those harder life lessons, puppy.
Your so correct those mods were just not enough, hopefully the D.O.B setup will help me achieve the 450hp range. I don't listen to some people because they feel that it is easier just to trade it for a gt, sorry I don't choose the easy way. It might be more simplistic option for some who don't have the skill set to do it themselves. I have spoken with others who have run a similar setup as mine and have pulled off numbers that were quite impressive to say the least.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
I got income tax coming in soon and was considering one of the 2 upgrades

1. Engine swap to a gt 4.6l
2. install a procharger kit.

both will give a great increase in performance, in the long run the gt swap is the most expensive but the procharger has a limit in power production.

this is my daily driver and therefore needs to be completly street legal in texas.

with both installs i will need the 8.8.
with the swap id have to get my new shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft re congifured, install the engine, tranny etc..( i would buy a wrecked gt) and will probably have to get a mechanic to assist,

with the procharger i can keep my ds and just blow my 7.5 but once again it wil be limited to the power .

what is you thoughts on it. also i have a finacial cap of about 5k

It's cheaper to upgrade to a GT, but if you do the engine swap, make sure you upgrade the suspension as finances allow. That way your traction will keep up with the added horsepower.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 PM
loaded6shooter
2nd Gear Member

Your a fool then.
You're*
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

get a new 5.0 you wont be disappointed!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Your a fool then. No way your gonna get 350 NA to that 4.6 w/ those mods you have listed. If you ALREADY had a GT & wanted it 350hp NA then the 5K might be enough to get you there.

Your gonna find out why this isnt done much w/ this engine.

You didnt listen to the experts so your gonna learn one of those harder life lessons, puppy.
Too the Fool Then.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Rshustler1
2nd Gear Member

I owe more than it is valued by the banks but the procharger route seems best fit so far, I did find a a 2010 gt I considered but ive done a lot of body mods as well as suspension so I dont want to lose all that hence the swap idea.

What is an aluminator engine?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:06 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

You guys that are saying avoid the motor swap are forgetting the nature of hotrodding. It's not about what makes sense in terms of money - it's about doing something that a lot of other people see as "crazy". If it were me, I'd go with the swap. I've put a lot of time and money ($14k+) into my V6, and I'd rather put a V8 in it than trade it for a GT.

In point of fact, I have a new project in mind involving taking a 2010 V6, ripping out the computer and the drivetrain, and going with a dual-quad stroker small block, a tremec 5-speed, and IRS.

Smart? Probably not.

Easy? Nope.

Expensive? That's putting it mildly.

Unique? Very.

Faster than a GT? Probably not, but that's not the point.

Fun? You have no idea, and THAT is the point.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rshustler1
I got income tax coming in soon and was considering one of the 2 upgrades

1. Engine swap to a gt 4.6l
2. install a procharger kit.

both will give a great increase in performance, in the long run the gt swap is the most expensive but the procharger has a limit in power production.

this is my daily driver and therefore needs to be completly street legal in texas.

with both installs i will need the 8.8.
with the swap id have to get my new shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft re congifured, install the engine, tranny etc..( i would buy a wrecked gt) and will probably have to get a mechanic to assist,

with the procharger i can keep my ds and just blow my 7.5 but once again it wil be limited to the power .

what is you thoughts on it. also i have a finacial cap of about 5k
If it's going to be a daily driver, and you decide to do an engine swap, I would consider a 5.0 instead of a 4.6. You'll get much better power AND mileage. It also shouldn't be any/much harder to do than transplanting a 4.6.

Also, since you'll be working on your actual daily driver, I'd look for a cheap car to drive around in while you're transplanting. It could end up taking a month or more to perform the swap. You should be able to get all of the drivetrain components (2011+ rear end, trans, and engine) from a local salvage yard. Do A LOT of research before you buy anything.

I happen to think a ProCharger is one of the ugliest pieces of kit someone can stuff under the hood, and personally, I will always choose the engine swap before the turbocharger.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
You guys that are saying avoid the motor swap are forgetting the nature of hotrodding. It's not about what makes sense in terms of money - it's about doing something that a lot of other people see as "crazy". If it were me, I'd go with the swap. I've put a lot of time and money ($14k+) into my V6, and I'd rather put a V8 in it than trade it for a GT.

In point of fact, I have a new project in mind involving taking a 2010 V6, ripping out the computer and the drivetrain, and going with a dual-quad stroker small block, a tremec 5-speed, and IRS.

Smart? Probably not.

Easy? Nope.

Expensive? That's putting it mildly.

Unique? Very.

Faster than a GT? Probably not, but that's not the point.

Fun? You have no idea, and THAT is the point.
He said he only has $5k to work with!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE POINT and he AINT gonna get what he wants for that.

Ya I said "aint" so u aint gotta correct my spealling.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I'd take that $5000 and pay the loan down before buying anything for the car, especially since you're upsidedown on it. Maybe take $3000 and pump that into the loan and the $2000 left over, get some toys for the car. $2000 can get you some fun parts.

Also....HOW IN THE EFF are you getting back $5000 in taxes???? I have a kid and I goto school full time and work full time and I'm not expecting anywhere NEAR $5000 back!!!!

Last edited by Ditty; 12-18-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Procharge or swap