Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers...Shorty or Longs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Dyno results at the bottom of article.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...s/viewall.html
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I have JBA Longtube headers. Great sound. Great look. Zero clearance issues. Good little power increase. And if I am not mistaken, I think u should get ceramic. Not chrome for heat issues. I heard ceramic is better. Besides dude, wats better? Long or short...?

My $0.02
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 AM
stangit9090
2nd Gear Member

I can attest to long tubes being a total PITA, shorties are NOT worthless, they can be had for CHEAP as well. 15-20 pounds of tq is exceptional.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

I have heard of LT being hard to install because of shape. I agree stangit. I wouldn't say shorties r worthless just that LT r better :P
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Dyno results at the bottom of article.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...s/viewall.html
That's the best results I've seen yet from a set of shorties. It goes against the results I've seen in person, but with the right combo, I suppose it's not impossible. Before I reversed position and gave the thumbs up to shorties, I'd have to see the tuning that went into the install as well as before and after Air/Fuel ratios. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

No problemo bro, something I came across when researching my options last year.
Something also to consider and the real reason I went shorty. Let's do some math...

Average cost of Lt's with catted mid about $1000-1200 right?
Average cost of shorty with nsr cam about $1200.

Lets throw both of those on a dyno and see which upgrade gets the higher numbers.
I will put my money on the shorty with cam.
Bang for your buck, advantage shorty/cam.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 PM
billybobed

Yikes, lotsa variations!

How about another angle, performance aside, between shorties and longs, which offer a lower, more 'growlie' sound impact on exhaust? Or is there no difference?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
No problemo bro, something I came across when researching my options last year.
Something also to consider and the real reason I went shorty. Let's do some math...

Average cost of Lt's with catted mid about $1000-1200 right?
Average cost of shorty with nsr cam about $1200.

Lets throw both of those on a dyno and see which upgrade gets the higher numbers.
I will put my money on the shorty with cam.
Bang for your buck, advantage shorty/cam.
If you're going to remain naturally aspirated, yes. (At which point my position is still to remain with factory exhaust and spend your money elsewhere.) If going with forced induction and plans for high boost, long tubes are definitely the better bang for the buck.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by billybobed
Yikes, lotsa variations!

How about another angle, performance aside, between shorties and longs, which offer a lower, more 'growlie' sound impact on exhaust? Or is there no difference?
Good question...heres how I see an exhaust.
Its like a stereo system to me.
Header is the amp
Midpipe is the EQ
muffler is the speakers
Given that, the lt's have more power. Its like a 100watt amp compared to a 50watt. At lower volume settings, they sound similar...but turn up the volume and the lt's will get louder.lol
TONE which seems to be what you are looking for, is controlled more by the midpipe (EQ). More of an old-school rumble is achieved by a H mid, particularly a mac prochamber. X pipe mids produce more of a raspy (race) tone and removing the cat's will alter tone quite a bit as well. Going with lt's changes both header and mid, so like I stated earlier, dailing in your sound is harder with the lt. You keep the factory mid (if you want) with the shorty install, so basically all you are doing is amplifying your current sound with the shorty install. My tone was no different with the shorty, but the amount of sound had increased.
So that leaves two questions imo... are you happy with your current tone and do you want your volume on level 5 or level 15??lol

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If going with forced induction and plans for high boost, long tubes are definitely the better bang for the buck.
100% agree!

Last edited by mayo; 01-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I like the way you research, Mayo. Too many people buy based on popularity alone and have to upgrade their upgrades later (I've done it myself). I ALWAYS like to see someone with a goal and buying mods to best reach that goal.

Quick Reply: Headers...Shorty or Longs?