Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers...Shorty or Longs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
DownRightFierce

Ok Im in Georgia and have to run cats with my exhaust. I want to get a set of LT headers and run them with a shorty X-pipe and high flow cats. Every local exhaust place keeps telling me not to mess with my cats or headers because it might mess up the car or cause an engine light to come on that I can't get to turn off. Especially if Im not racing or going to the track. My 07 is a daily driver but I dont really ride her too much sense my girl has a car and we work together. I guess my question is should I get a set of ST headers and run a X-pipe with my factory cats to stay on the safe side. Is there someone who has a daily driven 05-09 GT with these mods that can attest to this.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
billybobed

Great description Mayo, thank you. My goal is a middle ground on overall 'loudness' of the exhaust. When I get on it, I want it to be heard, but on the flip side, I want to be able to coast through a neighborhood without it being blaring loud. As far as tone, I'm looking for the old school big block sound. I know its not possible to get that exact tone out of these motors, but in general is the direction I'm looking for.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
DownRightFierce

Originally Posted by billybobed
Great description Mayo, thank you. My goal is a middle ground on overall 'loudness' of the exhaust. When I get on it, I want it to be heard, but on the flip side, I want to be able to coast through a neighborhood without it being blaring loud. As far as tone, I'm looking for the old school big block sound. I know its not possible to get that exact tone out of these motors, but in general is the direction I'm looking for.

Sounds to me like what your looking for is a camshaft upgrade. Thats my same goal when it comes to sound on my ride too. Check out some 05-13 cam vids on youtube. Pretty sure you will like what you hear. Cam upgrades really give these mustangs that old hotrod sound your looking for.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DownRightFierce
Ok Im in Georgia and have to run cats with my exhaust. I want to get a set of LT headers and run them with a shorty X-pipe and high flow cats. Every local exhaust place keeps telling me not to mess with my cats or headers because it might mess up the car or cause an engine light to come on that I can't get to turn off. Especially if Im not racing or going to the track. My 07 is a daily driver but I dont really ride her too much sense my girl has a car and we work together. I guess my question is should I get a set of ST headers and run a X-pipe with my factory cats to stay on the safe side. Is there someone who has a daily driven 05-09 GT with these mods that can attest to this.
I have a 2010 so I have a 4.6l. I installed high flow ceramic cats after the lt's, passed emmisions fine. Check enginelight does come on but I believe its a bad sensor.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Every local exhaust place keeps telling me not to mess with my cats or headers because it might mess up the car or cause an engine light to come on that I can't get to turn off.
What the exhaust shops are telling you is that what you want to do is beyond their skill set. Most exhaust shops specialize in replacing broken hangers, putting flowmasters on every truck that comes through the door and generally fixing old exhaust systems in disrepair. Performance upgrade is not their usual business. What you need to do is find a reputable performance shop instead.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM
DownRightFierce

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
What the exhaust shops are telling you is that what you want to do is beyond their skill set. Most exhaust shops specialize in replacing broken hangers, putting flowmasters on every truck that comes through the door and generally fixing old exhaust systems in disrepair. Performance upgrade is not their usual business. What you need to do is find a reputable performance shop instead.
Well everything on my ride I have put on myself. I did the Headers on my old ford truck no problem. Everything on this car has been simple so far. I know I will need a custom tune after putting on the LT headers and high flow cats. I want to do that anyways. I just wanted to know that there will be no issues once I do on a daily driver. But I get what your saying. I'll see if I can find a performance place that knows more about what I want to do.

Originally Posted by johngt10
I have a 2010 so I have a 4.6l. I installed high flow ceramic cats after the lt's, passed emmisions fine. Check enginelight does come on but I believe its a bad sensor.
cool thx this helps me out alot

Last edited by DownRightFierce; 01-02-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Hi All...have a 08 GT, 5 speed. I'm looking to get a new exhaust setup,along with headers.

I want to go with long tubes, for the throatier exhaust sound, plus more low end torque (minor I know). One potential issue I've been reading is the potential for long tubes to 'hang low' and cause general clearance/access issues with other components. Has anyone ran into any issues with these with long tubes? Anyone have any specific brand recommendations? Thanks!
American Racing makes really nice headers. Here's a great setup:

http://www.uprproducts.com/american-...158-gt-05.html
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
American Racing makes really nice headers. Here's a great setup:

http://www.uprproducts.com/american-...158-gt-05.html
Definately a great product. Very good quality. A bit pricey lol. I found mine for a great deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I like the way you research, Mayo.
Thanks man! I was going for everyday midrange power for a DD equipped with an a/t.
Like I tell my buds, "its not a race car, but its got one hell of a passing gear"...3rd gear = beastmode!
May be better ways to go, but I am very happy with the setup.

Great description Mayo, thank you. My goal is a middle ground on overall 'loudness' of the exhaust.
That can be had with longs or shorts bro. Best thing you can do is get some good headphones and dail up utube videos and see which setup is to your liking. Goodluck!

Cam upgrades really give these mustangs that old hotrod sound your looking for.
That's a fact...I Love my dr cams, probably my favorite mod to date.

Last edited by mayo; 01-03-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

I had a local performance shop install my LTs(not a job I wanted to tackle) and they cut my x pipe to fit for only about $20 extra. The check engine did come because the high flow cats were further back but BAMA tuned around it, after they had me data log. Its under warranty so I had ford check it also since this was only my 2nd time at this perf shop, ford said all was very well done, for free of course.

Quick Reply: Headers...Shorty or Longs?