Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers...Shorty or Longs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM
billybobed

Default Headers...Shorty or Longs?

Hi All...have a 08 GT, 5 speed. I'm looking to get a new exhaust setup,along with headers.

I want to go with long tubes, for the throatier exhaust sound, plus more low end torque (minor I know). One potential issue I've been reading is the potential for long tubes to 'hang low' and cause general clearance/access issues with other components. Has anyone ran into any issues with these with long tubes? Anyone have any specific brand recommendations? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes will give most gains. But I've also heard the shorty's will some power gains and definatly give a better sound than stock. It's more preference than anything.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
S stang
1st Gear Member

I have kooks long tubes on my 06 gt .with a. 11/2" lowerd car I drive it almost dd no problems .roads here in central il are not the best .
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Long. Shorties are worthless on the 3V. Unless you have a VERY high HP car (forced induction with a lot of boost, for example), you won't see gains from either. The factory exhaust flows very well.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dont bother with shortys. The install is such a PITA get longtubes. I am very happy with my Pypes. They fit perfect and after almost 3 years they look great. Tone gets deeper and louder with LTs. Clearance has never been an issue at all.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Yeah get lt's. My car is lowered 1.5" front and back and yeah the exhaust does sit a bit lower but its not a huge difference. Just be careful around tall speed bumps. I have American racing headers only because I got a killer deal on them and they are a great quality. My local shop I use for big installs said that these were the best fitment headers they have seen in a while. I know many others go with bbk headers and seem to have no issues. Either way go lt's. If you ever get cams you will see more gain in power with the lt's vs shorties.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

Get Shorties, then you can spend the next few years wishing you had long tubes.
I'm happy with my BBK ceramic long tubes, they still look like when I took them out of the box. I waited for them to go on sale, then american muscle will price match anyone.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nj07
Long tubes will give most gains (TRUE). But I've also heard the shorty's will some power gains and definatly give a better sound than stock.(TRUE)
Peak to peak HP numbers will support that lt's will produce the highest numbers...no question.
Do shorties produce power gains??? Dyno numbers show an 18lb of torque increase @ 3K rpm with the addition of shorties over stock, along with a more throaty exhaust note.

Originally Posted by S stang
I have kooks long tubes on my 06 gt .with a. 11/2" lowerd car I drive it almost dd no problems(TRUE).
Yea, from the lt's I have seen installed I would have a hard time believing that clearance would be an issue...but i'm sure there is some ahole just waiting to build a speedbump to challenge that statement

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Long. Shorties are worthless on the 3V(FALSE). Unless you have a VERY high HP car (forced induction with a lot of boost, for example), you won't see gains from either(TRUE).
"Worthless" is such a relative term and implies more feeling than fact imo.
If you think torque and sound increases are "worthless"...so be it. I have spent $325 and got alot less to date.
I do agree with the fact that lt's are only of benefit from a performance standpoint in higher hp setups. Until 400hp its all thunder and no lightning imo as you simply are not moving enough gas to benefit from the additional cost of the LT. Getting rid of the cat's and going with an off road mid is a better option for those not planning to supercharge, if emissions is not a problem.

Originally Posted by 808muscle
The install is such a PITA get longtubes.(TRUE) Tone gets deeper and louder with LTs.(TRUE)
The install with any type of header on this car is a pita, so i can see the logic in 808's statement until...
That tone wakes up the dead at 7:30am every morning. Lt's are loud and harder to dail-in soundwise. Everyone is not going to appreiciate that, so be ready to get the "hateraid" shower every once in a while.

It all comes down to vehicle application in my book making decisions like these. I went with shorties for my DD and have been happy with the results. If I planned to track my car or I used it as more of a secondary "fun" car, LT's would have been my choice without doubt...hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Dont bother with shortys. The install is such a PITA get longtubes. I am very happy with my Pypes. They fit perfect and after almost 3 years they look great. Tone gets deeper and louder with LTs. Clearance has never been an issue at all.
Not to rain on your parade but don't get pypes. Its hit or miss with the fit. https://mustangforums.com/forum/caro...ypes-saga.html

Long tubes, its the exact same install process either way, might as well go big.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
"Worthless" is such a relative term and implies more feeling than fact imo.
If you think torque and sound increases are "worthless"...
I'll give you sound. Any power increases advertised are suspicious for shorties. I've seen none verified as of yet. I'm open to proof.

Quick Reply: Headers...Shorty or Longs?