Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have to drop the hood from like half way up for it to close

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Carterl

Default I have to drop the hood from like half way up for it to close

I do not like pressing down on it do not want dents..its sooo tight is there a way to adjust this some or does it need a new spring. I feel like I am jumping from the top ropes closing it
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 AM
loaded6shooter
2nd Gear Member

those rubber bump stops for the hood adjust up or down, righty tighty lefty loosie! try just a quarter turn at a time
Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I have to, too.

Main thing to look at is once the hood is closed, is it flush with the fenders. If it is, then do not adjust anything, if it's lower/higher, then adjust the rubber bump stops as loaded6shooter mentioned above.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That's normal but if it bothers you, then get used to the drop from half open or adjust the bumpers. I don't like the idea of adjusting the hood bumpers if it's not necessary due to the chronic hood shake these S197's experience at high speeds, which can be fixed or worsened by bumper adjustment.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Both of my cars need a drop of close to a foot to close right. Hasn't bothered me. Had the hood on my '08 come unlocked at highway speed once, freaked me out- since then I give it a little tug up after I close it.

Frank
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Yea, definitely could be the rubber stoppers. But I also drop my hood from at least a foot or push down with force so, keep that in mind before you let it freak you out too much. You aren't hurting the hood, even though at times it may feel like you are.

I had the hood shaking at highway speeds very consistently (every time I got up to speed) and adjusting my stoppers actually didn't do me any good as many times and adjustments I tried....nothing hood pins didn't fix though
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I drop mine too. Doesn't hurt it. I don't want to push down on it as I've dented hoods doing that, and I don't want hand prints on my incredibly awesome wax job.

*sigh* I haven't been able to take her out of the garage since November......
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I drop mine too. Doesn't hurt it. I don't want to push down on it as I've dented hoods doing that, and I don't want hand prints on my incredibly awesome wax job.

*sigh* I haven't been able to take her out of the garage since November......
Yea pushing too hard makes me nervous...its usually some sort of combination of the two.

I feel your pain. Weather is that bad over your way? We've seen some snow here, but every once in a while, when I know the weather will behave, I get to sneak her out and take her to work instead of letting her see the garage wall.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

We've had a couple of snows the last month. Not a lot, but it's been cold enough that it's sticking around as ice on the roads, and I don't take her out unless the roads are clear.

I'm dying to take her out for a run....
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

For the most part, all of the stock Mustang hoods I've closed had to be dropped at least a quarter of the way up. As a few guys already said, if the hood is straight with the fenders, then there's not much you can do for adjustment.

Take a look at your hoods alignment to the fenders and go from there. Hopefully there's a little adjustment that can be made!

Shane

Quick Reply: I have to drop the hood from like half way up for it to close