Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BALLJOINT BAD

Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm not hearing a clunk. I tried checking my ball joints by jacking up the control arm and moving the tire, but couldn't get it to budge. I even tried a prybar, but didn't see any play in the ball joint. Mine have 43,000 miles and I drive it hard down some of the crappiest dirt roads in Florida.

My tie rod end boots are shredded, so I was going to replace those and the ball joints at the same time.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I'm not hearing a clunk. I tried checking my ball joints by jacking up the control arm and moving the tire, but couldn't get it to budge.
The mechanic told me to check them (unloaded) by grabbing the tire front and back and move like a steering direction. I had checked them by grabbing top and bottom and pulling in and out. Didn't feel any motion the way I checked them, but got a good bit trying it as he said.

Frank
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
The mechanic told me to check them (unloaded) by grabbing the tire front and back and move like a steering direction. I had checked them by grabbing top and bottom and pulling in and out. Didn't feel any motion the way I checked them, but got a good bit trying it as he said.

Frank
Really? I thought top and bottom of the tire was the preferred method.

here's Ford's recommended way of testing the ball joints. click on the pdf file and scroll towards the bottom. Looks like it's supposed to be hanging and push up and pull down on the lower arm. I did that before and could feel no movement, but i'll check again before changing the tie rods.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=55&viewfile...n%20System.pdf
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If you move the tire in a motion that simulates how it would move if you turned the steering wheel, I would expect the wheel to move. Maybe your mechanic doesn't know how to check ball joints or wants to pocket some extra $$$.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
If you move the tire in a motion that simulates how it would move if you turned the steering wheel, I would expect the wheel to move. Maybe your mechanic doesn't know how to check ball joints or wants to pocket some extra $$$.
I checked them the traditional way first. That's the way I thought. I don't know why he would say anything wrong. He's worked on my car several times, he's ASI certified Ford mechanic and he's a hot rodder like many of us. Just sayin'.

Frank
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I just had the same experience, Got 4 new tires and alignment. They told me that ball joint on the lower control arm has some play. Of course this is only part of my complicated issue, but I'm gong to be upgrading the stocks/struts/springs and am considering getting the X5 ball joints from steeda to get things properly lined up. When they told me about the alignment issue (caster), I then took it to a alignment shop who didn't see a ball joint issue. may get a 3rd opinion
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
crankedGT/CS
1st Gear Member

i stumbled upon this thread b/c i failed state inspection today due to "worn ball joint". seemed fishy to me, so I brought it home and performed the test as Ford prescibed (had the same info as the link posted earlier in this thread). absolutely no play in either. moving in direction of steering makes no sense...of course the wheels will move that way; if they didn't you couldn't steer the car....it moves until the steering column locks. then just pivots enough to hear the lock each way. I think that's what some of these mechanics are doing... I am getting second opinion tomorrow
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

My 3rd opinion saw no problems with the ball joint and saw nothing bent. In fact he said his measurements showed no problems (not what the first 2 said). I'm going to put my Koni Sports on with the Steeda HD Upper Strut Mount, hopefully this weekend, then take it to the alignment shop one final time (for a while until I pay off some bills / have more money to get relocation brackets and new LCA's, and put my Steeda springs on).
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

Okay CrankedGT/CS

I just got my inspection and it failed also, because of ball joints.
I went to Captial Ford in Raleigh, Thats not where you got your inspection was it???

Will get a second opinion Monday...
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
crankedGT/CS
1st Gear Member

smokievol,
I'm in Charlotte so no was not the same place. I got a second opinion the next day. That technician laughed as he checked and stated there was no problem with them. there is a very small amount of play in one of mine; undetectable when testing way service manual prescribes. Ball joints wear over time, but are not necessarily 'bad' at first sign of wear. NC standard is 3 inches of steering mech play to fail.... None of us would allow anywhere near that before replacing...

Last edited by crankedGT/CS; 02-03-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BALLJOINT BAD