Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a new rear caliper?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Do I need a new rear caliper?

I spent four hours working on the right rear brake. Grrrr! Had a new rotor and pads in place, went to put the caliper back on and found out that the piston isn't pushed in far enough. I used a brake caliper tool and no matter how much I turn the thing it won't go in any further. It just spins and spins. I've tried removing the master cylinder cap and unscrewing the bleeder screw. Parking brake is also off. I've also tried pumping the brake pedal to push the piston back out and used the tool to push the piston back in but it still wouldn't go in far enough for the caliper to fit over the new pads and rotor. I got so pissed I put the old parts back on and called it a day. Four hours wasted!

Here's a picture of the caliper piston showing how much it still sticks out. Is it time for a new caliper?
Name:  20130113_154206_zps5999375e.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  101.1 KB

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 01-13-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Trekev

That should fit over the pads and rotors in the position that it's in, it'll be tight but it should fit. If that still doesn't work try disconnecting the brake line from the caliper and twisting it in more, you'll have to bleed your brakes afterword though.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Use a c-clamp and a little flat piece of metal. Is the piston broken or is that just the picture?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shawzie
Use a c-clamp and a little flat piece of metal. Is the piston broken or is that just the picture?
^ Don't do this, lol.
The piston has to rotate.

I've also had a pain with the rear calipers, I don't think they go in too far, see if it all fits like that.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

It should definetly go in further then that now that I look at it again,should almost go flush??
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Did you use the caliper piston tool that applys pressure on the piston while you turn it with a wrench? Mine took quite a bit of pressure.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Shawzie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
^ Don't do this, lol.
The piston has to rotate.

I've also had a pain with the rear calipers, I don't think they go in too far, see if it all fits like that.
Been doing it like that for 20 years and never had an issue???
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

That caliper will not fit over new pads unless the piston is reset as shown in the first photo. You have to turn the piston clockwise while applying pressure to push the piston back into the caliper. The proper caliper tool to do that is shown in the second photo. You can purchase one at Harbor Freight tools or perhaps even borrow one from a chain auto parts store that loan out tools. Once the piston is reset, don't forget to position the indented recesses on the piston face so one of them aligns and fits into the small pin on the back of the in-board brake pad as shown in the third photo. Good luck. Refer to this link for additional details:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rake-pads.html

Name:  piston_reset_1_zpsc900223d.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4317.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  piston_aligned.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  52.4 KB

Last edited by 6-Speed; 01-13-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Been doing it like that for 20 years and never had an issue???
You can't do that with brake calipers that have an integrated parking brake mechanism. The piston has to be turned while forward pressure is applied.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trekev
That should fit over the pads and rotors in the position that it's in, it'll be tight but it should fit. If that still doesn't work try disconnecting the brake line from the caliper and twisting it in more, you'll have to bleed your brakes afterword though.
Wouldn't opening the bleeder screw and master cylinder cap achieve the same thing? Relieve pressure?

It's not broken.

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
That caliper will not fit over new pads unless the piston is reset as shown in the first photo. You have to turn the piston clockwise while applying pressure to push the piston back into the caliper. The proper caliper tool to do that is shown in the second photo. You can purchase one at Harbor Freight tools or perhaps even borrow one from a chain auto parts store that loan out tools. Once the piston is reset, don't forget to position the indented recesses on the piston face so one of them aligns and fits into the small pin on the back of the in-board brake pad as shown in the third photo. Good luck. Refer to this link for additional details:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rake-pads.html

That's the same tool I was using. That first picture definitely shows the piston pushed in further than mine. Mine just keeps turning freely without going in any further.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need a new rear caliper?