Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom tuner or hire professional?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Default Custom tuner or hire professional?

So I bought my 07 GT from a kia dealer, and it has a few bolt ons. The dealer wouldn't give me the contact info for the previous owner and they themselves don't know much about the modifications. The problem is I'm not very car savvy (not yet) and I need help figuring a few things out before spring comes. First, is there any way of finding out who the previous owner of a car is? Since the car was sold to the dealer, I have no clue as to who the previous owner is (at least not from the deed and car history). I'm also trying to decide whether I should take it to a tuner for them to find out if it has the appropriate tune since I don't know what kind of cams it has, or what kind of fuel to use. I can't buy a handheld tuner if I don't know what cams it has, right? Is there anyway of finding out what cams it has without taking off the cam covers? The speedo is off too, so either way... So I guess my big question is, do I need to buy a hand held tuner (I hear you guys like bama), or if I get the right tune from a shop, can I get by without one (I have a diagnostic device to read codes already so a tuner would be just for tuning)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Your best bet is to have it dyno-tuned by a reputable local shop.

If that isn't an option, I'd contact other places like Bama, Lethal etc and talk about getting a custom e-mail tune. Do a LOT of Data-logging on the car, send the logs to whomever is going to tune it and go from there. Dynos are easy to find locally, but a trustworthy tuner is NOT.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:31 AM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
If that isn't an option, I'd contact other places like Bama, Lethal etc and talk about getting a custom e-mail tune. Do a LOT of Data-logging on the car, send the logs to whomever is going to tune it and go from there. Dynos are easy to find locally, but a trustworthy tuner is NOT.
So if I data log with whatever tune I have, I can email it to a custom tuner and they'll let me know what to do? Thanks for the warning on the local shops, I thought the professionals couldn't be wrong when it came to the car's computer!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Call and talk with the "E-Tuners" first. Ask 'em what they can do for you, how much it'll cost, etc.
With an SCT and a windows laptop, you can datalog...you may have to purchase the SCT and a tune package first.

You'd have to call and talk to them, FIRST.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I agree with what Ditty said.

Also, if you have local tuners, definitely ask around and see what people are saying. Another thing I recommend is going to the shops and talking to each, to get a feel for what they're like....are they all about numbers, or your best interest. Trust me, you'll see the diffrence.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What ditty said, also. Either way; custom tune or dyno; you should have the handheld.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

you can tell it has cams by the idle/shake ?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

...and if the speedometer is off by more than about 1.5-2 MPH AND your tires have an approx. O.D. of 27" (OE tire diameter), then you likely have non-stock gears.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
you can tell it has cams by the idle/shake ?
Yeah, it's very noticeable with my exhaust (far from being a complaint )
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
20binafd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
What ditty said, also. Either way; custom tune or dyno; you should have the handheld.
Even if it turns out I have a good tune on it and I don't plan on any further modifications for now? I forgot to mention I'm short on cash, so if taking it to a shop is cheaper than a tuner, then thats what I'm leaning toward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom tuner or hire professional?