Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 GT 2nd gear clunks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM
nintendopower454

Question 2012 GT 2nd gear clunks

I have a 2012 GT with the 6 speed manual, and sometimes when I shift from 1st to 2nd the transmission "clunks" I have never experienced the grinding that others have experienced, and have never noticed the issue when down shifting from 3rd to second. I was thinking of getting the barton shift bracket from american muscle do you guys think that would fix the issue, or do you guys think I should take the car into the local dealership?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Drivetrain "slop".. tranny, driveshaft ..back to the rear. It's sloppy.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
nintendopower454

I see you have a 2011 have you ever noticed it in yours? If that is the case then it is most likely just how the mt82 transmission behaves.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I'd take it in and see if Ford will do anything for you. You're under warranty and in more severe cases, they might at least improve it a little bit through the TSBs out there.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

Both my mother and myself have the same issues with the 2011's. It is rather annoying, plus the squeaky breaks are really getting on my nerves.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nintendopower454
I see you have a 2011 have you ever noticed it in yours? If that is the case then it is most likely just how the mt82 transmission behaves.
Yep. My 07 had a lot of "slop" too.

As pdonket suggested.. no harm in bringing it in to a dealer if you are concerned.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

its really more a problem because of the 2 piece drive shaft. That extra joint adds extra slop which doesnt help when you consider most vehicles have a Little slop with even a one piece.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

I have a 2012 GT with the 6 speed manual, and sometimes when I shift from 1st to 2nd the transmission "clunks" I have never experienced the grinding that others have experienced, and have never noticed the issue when down shifting from 3rd to second. I was thinking of getting the barton shift bracket from american muscle do you guys think that would fix the issue, or do you guys think I should take the car into the local dealership?
Nintendopower,

I'm not 100% sure if a Short Shifter will get rid of the "Clunking" you're experiencing. It will definitely Shorten/Tighten up the throws and get rid of all the slop, however a clunking may be related to the actual transmission. I would also recommend taking your GT into the dealer to get a once over.

I would hate for you to throw the Shifter in there and it not fix your exact issue. Then when you take it to the dealer, they point fingers towards the shifter!

I hope this helps and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help! Let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266.

-Dan
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

nintendopower454,

My name is Cory and I’m with Ford Service. I definitely recommend taking your ‘Stang to the dealer; what are you chicken? LOL JK

Seriously though, I can help by escalating this and arranging a call from your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Originally Posted by rneely2111
Both my mother and myself have the same issues with the 2011's. It is rather annoying, plus the squeaky breaks are really getting on my nerves.
I want to lend a hand with your concerns, rneely2111. PM me with the details I listed above and I’ll have your regional CSM call you.

Originally Posted by pdonket
I'd take it in and see if Ford will do anything for you...
Originally Posted by MrSandman
...As pdonket suggested.. no harm in bringing it in to a dealer if you are concerned.
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
...I would also recommend taking your GT into the dealer to get a once over...
I really like seeing the community support, guys; thanks!

Cory
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

OP: i have a 2012 V6 with a manual transmission and mine clunks going into 2nd sometimes. do you keep your mustang in a garage or outside? i see you live in virginia, i live in ohio. our colder weather created some issues with the transmissions because they were too cold at first. after you drive around for a while and things heat up your clunking should go away (that is assuming that you are having the same issue i had). the Ford dealer can swap out your transmission fluid to help address the issue.

i'm not saying this is definitely your issue, but it sounds a lot like mine (which was just a cold transmission). it was always second gear that clunked, and everything else was fine. i got into the summer time and the shifts were butter smooth. like the others said, your dealer should be able to take care of you, especially since you're under warranty.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT 2nd gear clunks