Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on bottom of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Blksaleen281

Originally Posted by code3GT
Saleens don't have forged internals. The Saleen Extreme is the only model with all the goodies.

Duuuuude. Please, please, please quit giving misinformation.
Are you sure? because I was told mine has a forged block and I dont have the extreme edition. Mine is just a SC.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by Blksaleen281
Are you sure? because I was told mine has a forged block and I dont have the extreme edition. Mine is just a SC.
I am positive. And like I said yours is not a real s281sc because Saleen uses a roots style supercharger not a centrifugal style.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
plug72
1st Gear Member

Durrrrrrr.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've got a couple of replies to some of your questions below:

Originally Posted by 808muscle
The only way that oil is coming out of the top vent hole is like moose said. Overfilled or its too hot from driving hard so its purging some. Check your clutch fluid and engine oil. This might not be trans related at all. Slave or rear main seal could be leaking. How does the trans shift?
Dumb question, but where/how do you check the clutch fluid level? Also where is the top vent hose so I can check if anything is coming out of that?

The transmission shifts fine. I can't imagine it getting too hot from driving hard. Most of my "hard" driving is typically just coming off of traffic lights hard. It's not like I'm road racing or anything.

Originally Posted by ziperhead
Unfortunetly I have some experience with this.
Is the oil red or black? If red see below
If you remove the vent hose on top and there is oil in there, most likely it is over filled and pukes when very hot. JDM catch can will fix this
If there is oil coming out around the transmission input shaft it is time to see a transmission shop.

Not to sure if you have a automatic or manual. If automatic the above applies

It's a manual. But I didn't really check the color. Does anyone know if the manual fluid is colored, or is it black/brown like engine oil?

Originally Posted by moosestang
Duh! Forgot about the rear main seal. I haven't seen a lot of rear main seal problems on these cars, none really.

If your rear main seal is leaking, then your clutch is probably slipping from all the oil being slung by the flywheel.

Like I mentioned above, I don't think the clutch is slipping. I can come off the line hard and I don't really get any slippage feelings when driving (hard or otherwise).

Last edited by ponyman; 01-22-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The clutch shares fluid with the brakes, so if your master cylinder is full, then it's not leaking.

If you have small hands, you can reach up to the top of the transmission and feel the vent nipple. It's the same kind of vent that on the rear axle tube.

if it's wet inside the bell housing, then there's a good chance it's brake fluid from a leaking slave cylinder.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
The clutch shares fluid with the brakes, so if your master cylinder is full, then it's not leaking.

If you have small hands, you can reach up to the top of the transmission and feel the vent nipple. It's the same kind of vent that on the rear axle tube.

if it's wet inside the bell housing, then there's a good chance it's brake fluid from a leaking slave cylinder.

Then it is definitely not the slave cylinder. I know this because I did front brakes this weekend and if anything I have too much brake fluid right now.