Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting a 2013 Mustang 5.0 GT. One question Manual or Automatic

Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance772
What about the automatic shift select feature. Does that act like stick shift.
select shift will never be the same as a true manual. obviously you have no clutch...plus i heard there can be lag on the shifts unless you get a tune to firm up the shifting points. even at that, get the manual.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

this is a defining moment in your car driving story where you'll look back at how you decided to man up and get a manual or you decided to talk yourself out of it with some gimmick auto shift features. it doesn't act like a manual, but it does give you control over which gear you're in. it's fun, but not necessary, the computer can probably shift better than you can.

you'll be able to drive the car, no problem. it might take you a week or two to work the kinks out, and you'll stall it, but you'll learn.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

Get a manual man. You'll get bored of your car eventually if you have an automatic. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll still be a blast to drive, but gas break gas break is just too so repetitive and boring for me. Only car that I will own that will be an automatic will be a luxury sedan or an SUV
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
JK 23112

A slushbox doesn't belong in a Mustang GT.....period! Get the manual.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

The manaul transmission will probably take some time to get used too....but once you do, you'll be glad you did!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 AM
BigMech

I was having the same debate when I ordered mine back in April. I had not driven a manual transmission in over 15 years, and my commute sometimes runs into traffic. In the end, I got the manual and I couldn't be happier with it. The test drive sealed it for me. Also, you can't get the track pack with the automatic, and it is an option I really wanted on the car.

Yes, you can choose the gear with the automatic, but it is just not the same as driving a real manual. I have a 2007 Charger R/T with a shift-able automatic, and it's a totaly different driving experience.

Unless you commute in stop and go traffic everyday, I say go with the manual. You feel much more connected to the car, and I think it makes the driving experience a lot more involving and fun!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Driving a manual is a lot more fun than an automatic. Learning how to drive a 5 speed will take some patience and a little time. It's all about knowing how much gas to give, when letting up on the cluth. Also, getting familiar with each gear and the shift points. Once you get the feeling, you will be good to go!
Do you know of anyone that has a manual and can teach you?
I would recommend this, before you go and test drive a 5 speed Mustang.
Go to a parking lot with a lot of open space to learn. Then practice starting off on small hills and then move up to steeper hills. =-)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
AWD2RWD
1st Gear Member

I've taught numerous people how to drive stick and some just don't get it lol. That being said You should definitely test drive both and see what your preference is.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by defiance772
Yes I made this thread because I'm excited as hell. I need to brag a little lol. but also I want to know if I been driving automatic all my life, will it be easy for me to drive stick shift
Think of it this way - you won't be trying to learn how to work the shifter and the clutch at the same time you're learning all the rest of the stuff that goes with driving. With that much less mental load, it ought to be pretty easy.

You say you've been driving automatic all your life. While it's not clear just how long that might be, the fact that you're considering a stick-shift this time around tells me that you haven't completely locked your mindset into "automatic only" just yet.

You'll hear all the usual arguments either way before this thread is over, but keep in mind that whatever you buy, you're buying for you and not to impress any of us. Only you can decide which factors matters more to you than the rest.

I'm about as hardcore MT as it gets (we have not owned an automatic trtansmission anything in over 40 years), but I'd still rather hear that you bought the car you'll enjoy for your "right reasons" even if you do end up going with an automatic one more time. I'd just hope that you wouldn't end up having any regrets later.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-01-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
StangingAround
1st Gear Member

Unless you have a leg problem or are trying to break records down the drag strip, I see no reason why you would get an automatic. A manual car is so much more exciting and is worth the extra haggle concerning traffic.

Just messing around guys but still funny.

Last edited by StangingAround; 02-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally getting a 2013 Mustang 5.0 GT. One question Manual or Automatic