Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSS Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingnut
why is DSS better than shaftmasters? i hear alot of people say the shaftmaster is the best.
You don't have to worry about pinion angle, even on lowered vehicles. I haven't read any stories of someone with a DSS shaft that's complained of vibrations. Not saying it's never happened, but the consensus is that they are the most trouble-free. To me they are worth the price because of that.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

DDS and Shaftmasters are very different. DDS is a two unit, DS and adapter plate. The Shaftmasters is a true one piece, no pinion angle adjustment required. At the end if the each option is better than stock.

I took the pinion angle into consideration and went with Shaftmasters.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingnut
why is DSS better than shaftmasters? i hear alot of people say the shaftmaster is the best.
The current Shaftmasters design (except for the integrated u-joint yoke/axle flange piece) is pretty similar to what DSS was producing 3-4 years ago.

The current DSS design uses a C.V. coupling rather that the potentially less stable slip joint in the tube. DSS also has custom designed balancing equipment that can take their shafts to much higher RPM levels compared to most competitors

This is the sort of low speed equipment many shops utilize:

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 02-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So does the shaftmaster come with a different pinion flange?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
So does the shaftmaster come with a different pinion flange?
Not required. It's a true one piece.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
Not required. It's a true one piece.
What does that mean? Did you install your drive shaft? How does it bolt to the stock pinion flange?

The pictures on their site show a standard U joint on both ends, so you must have to change the pinion flange.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
What does that mean? Did you install your drive shaft? How does it bolt to the stock pinion flange?

The pictures on their site show a standard U joint on both ends, so you must have to change the pinion flange.

Yes installed mine. They provide you with new bolts and blue locktite that go into the stock flange, simple. My install only took about 1.5 hours but I had the benefit of a lift and air tools.

Do you need a pic Moose?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

With the DSS shaft the end of the CV joint bolts right into the current pinion yoke. The DSS is the only true one piece drive shaft. I have really enjoyed mine after going througn 3 different companies so called one piece shafts. In my setup I could never get any of the other shafts vibration free at all speeds. There was always a problem, at different speeds, with the other shafts. My DSS shaft was vibration free from the initial install and continues to be trouble free.

Earl
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

DDS and Shaftmasters are very different. DDS is a two unit, DS and adapter plate. The Shaftmasters is a true one piece, no pinion angle adjustment required. At the end if the each option is better than stock.

I took the pinion angle into consideration and went with Shaftmasters.

^^This is not correct. With the Shaftmaster unit you absolutely have to correct the pinion angle.

First let me say Shaftmaster has incredible customer service. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I tried two of their designs. Both had a lot of vibration issues. I even purchased an adjustable UCA to try to dial it out. It would not go away. My car is on a stock suspension, not lowered at all. Shaftmaster refunded my money and was cool to me the entire time.

Now with the DSS DS I never even bothered to check the PA. Their design is different and eliminates the PA issue. I have had it up to 80 mph with no issues. Friday night I am going racing and that will let me know if this mod is good for a better ET and of course its the final high speed vibration test.

FWIW, auto cars have more vibration issues than manuals and yes I have an auto.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Yes installed mine. They provide you with new bolts and blue locktite that go into the stock flange, simple. My install only took about 1.5 hours but I had the benefit of a lift and air tools.

Do you need a pic Moose?

No, I finally found 1 in this thread.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tall-help.html

Their website doesn't have any good pictures.

Quick Reply: DSS Driveshaft