Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need exhaust help and opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Default Need exhaust help and opinions.

I have a 2005 mustang GT. the exhaust is currently: JBA LT headers> aftermarket x-pipe> stock mufflers. I want to replace my stock axle backs. Ive figured out that my local advance auto parts store carries a lot if flowmaster stuff. I'm think about either the American thunder axle backs ($400), or two 40 series or two super 44 series. Wat do y'all think
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

i personally not a fan of flowmasters all sound the same...

pypes are not a bad option and great price..

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...-violator.html (265.99)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

No offense, but I have yet to see a car with a Pypes axle back where the tailpipes actually line up worth a crap. I'd rather spend a little more to get something that actually fits.

Hey cema is your X pipe catted? The big thing here is you've already got headers and some kind of midpipe (whether offroad or high flow catted), going from the stock mufflers to aftermarket is a BIG jump in sound. 40 series mufflers will be pretty damn loud with that setup. Not sure about the others, they'll be a little less loud, might come down to preference. Regardless you'll see a big increase in volume.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Ghent, my x pipe is offroad. I have a racey sound now. I would have preferred an h pipe but oh well. It is a clean sound though not rough. I'm really looking for am grumble of some kind.

Tomkat I may have to get my exhaust from am after all. The flow master videos r ok but I haven't found a sound I really liked. The violators rnt loud enough. The pypes muffler deletes sound good. I'm worried that they might be too loud though..
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

What you have to remember is that all of AM's exhaust videos are on a car with stock cats. There is a huuuge difference between a car with stock cats, and a car with longtubes and an offroad X pipe. You won't have a problem with something being "not loud enough," you'll probably be looking for something a little less loud. Muffler deletes would be obnoxiously loud, raspy and not sound good at all.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

what would you suggest to get a good clean grumble sound and fairly inexpensive?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

Take your muffler search to youtube and do a "2005 mustang gt jba lt headers offroad xpipe" you will be able to see some other setups with different mufflers to get a feel for how they sound. It is much better than the sound clips you are listening to on AM since it will be closer to how yours would sound.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Second that.

The problem I've noticed is that a lot of the axlebacks out there are designed to have the right volume with stock cats. Once they're gone, they're way loud. Even going from stock cats to high flow cats on my car was a big change in sound, and I ended up changing mufflers because the straight through ones I had were just a a little too loud at 6 AM!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

you might even just want to remove the resonators see if that is what you are looking for.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

2005's don't have resonators.

Quick Reply: Need exhaust help and opinions.