MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Engine started ticking in my Mustang GT (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/690041-engine-started-ticking-in-my-mustang-gt.html)

Jack Herm 02-15-2013 12:28 PM

Engine started ticking in my Mustang GT

Hello to all.....I bought my Mustang GT Convertable in 2007. from day one ive used Mobil 1 synthetic. Currently the car has 73,000. 3 weeks ago I had the oil changed but they didnt have the Mobil 1 but Amsoil so I said go ahead. about a week later the car started to make a ticking noise. I went onto this site and heard that seafoam make work to cure this. but before I tried that I went back to Mobil 1 then put the seafoam in the motor and fuel. since then it hasnt got any better. Any idea what this may be? For those who may be reaing this...yes I'm a newbe to this site. Here is a little bit of history on me. First brand new Ford Ive ever own. I work for the Army and had to go to the state of Washington so that was a reason for the new car. I took the wife on a 3000 mile journey that was an awesome experience! 2 months later on my way back home from Washington to Michigan the police pulled me over in Montana. He asked me why I pulled you over which I replyed I have no clue Sir. He said to let you know that this Dodge Charger is faster than your Mustang. We both laughed...true story.

Nuke 02-15-2013 01:59 PM

Is the ticking a valve tap or injector noise? The S197's are notorious for loud injectors (there's a TSB on it) which people often notice at some point during ownership and then assume it's some other issue.

I truly doubt the Amsoil caused the problem as long as they used the Amsoil 5w20 or 0w20. Were you using the Ford-recommended 5w20 on previous oil changes?

Good story, btw. I'll just say that I was decelerating from about 120 MPH and was down to about 80 when a State Trooper in Kentucky pulled up along side of me (I saw him in the rear view just as started to decelerate and dared not touch the brakes; 4th gear decel only), paced me, then gave a nod of approval and took off.

Derf00 02-15-2013 02:06 PM

E-brake is also a way to slow down without being too obvious that you're trying to slow down ;-)

Nuke 02-15-2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8154078)
E-brake is also a way to slow down without being too obvious that you're trying to slow down ;-)

That's ridiculous... to even SUGGEST that I'm that smart under those conditions.
:icon_goofygrin:

moosestang 02-15-2013 02:50 PM

How loud is this tick? Can you hear it in the drivers seat? Can you hear it outside the car with the hood shut? Is it a constant tick and increase with rpms?

My car has had a tick tick, pause tick tick, pause sound since the second or third oil change (or maybe since day one), but I didn't notice it until I was under the car to make sure the oil filter wasn't leaking. You can't really hear it unless you are close to the motor, the injector noise drones it out. I'm pretty sure mine only does it at idle and only after it warms up some or only at idle rpm.

We need a video. It could be the cam phasers or bad vct solenoid causing a ticking/tapping/knocking sound.

Here's a good video of how to replace the cam phazers

adidasUNT8 02-15-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 8154071)
Good story, btw. I'll just say that I was decelerating from about 120 MPH and was down to about 80 when a State Trooper in Kentucky pulled up along side of me (I saw him in the rear view just as started to decelerate and dared not touch the brakes; 4th gear decel only), paced me, then gave a nod of approval and took off.

I have a story to top that...

Ok you know those emails you'll get that says "if you forward this to 10 ppl, a miracle will happen to you tomorrow". Well the only one I ever did was the day before this story happened. Ironic...

So a couple friends of mine in a couple C6Z's and I were cruising around and I got stopped at a red light before getting on the interestate. This interestate is a 4-lane straight, level, no traffic road. I attempted to catch up to them for a short period and I just about did when I came up to a slight hill. Just over the hill I hear a loud laser sound. I immediately recognize this as the laser detection from my Valentine1. No bueno! So I slow down to the speed limit (75) and I see him turn around and I know he's coming for me. I pull over in the right lane and obviously he flashes his lights and pulls me over. He comes up to the window and says. "It's your lucky day. I have another call to go to. Slow it down"

It was not one of my brightest moments. I will be the first to admit that. When the laser went off I glanced down at the speedometer and it was pegged on the Shelby.

Nuke 02-15-2013 03:45 PM

Sorry, OP. Looks like we jacked your thread... :icon_angel:

adidasUNT8 02-15-2013 06:07 PM

Sorry to get off topic Jack, but I seriously doubt the amsoil did anything to cause the ticking sound that you're referring to. It is most likely the injector noise that has been talked about previously. I know my old GT used to make that same ticking sound.

moosestang 02-15-2013 07:32 PM

Injectors are loud, but if you can hear it from inside the car or even outside with the hood shut, then it's not the injectors.

Jack Herm 02-16-2013 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. I also agree that the Amsoil shouldnt do this but a week after I changed my oil....ugh! Im taking the Car in on Monday to have it looked at and will ask them to look at the injector that some folks recommended. Thanks for the feedback and the story's...good to hear them.