Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is the stock block good for, which CSC, and Tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Question How much is the stock block good for, which CSC, and Tire recommendation?

Hi all, really starting to consider going FI. I was either thinking a Centrifugal Supercharger (Paxton), or a low low 50~100 shot of the juice. As wonderful as all this power sounds, this car IS my daily driver and right now there isn't really even funding for a supercharger, much less forging/rebuilding a blown motor. So I have 3 simple questions, but any input is appreciated. Firstly, how much can the stock block hold? Ive heard everything from a basic tune, to 900 WHP. The latter sounds a bit exaggerated, but i'd like to see 600ish horsepower out of her. Second question, any input on the Paxton Centrifugal? After doing some research, they seem to be the best bang for the buck...But I don't want to buy it without some solid info. Kinda like buying a 300 dollar Ebay "Electric supercharger" With a fan spinning 50k rpm inside your intake to create "Boost." And my final question is kind of unrelated. I dynoed as kind of a "Factory Freak" Producing 402 RWHP on a bone stock car. It's a great feeling having 400+ Hp before any mods, trust me...but traction is rare when it comes to racing. I was wondering if anybody knew of a tire (Stock 8.5 inch width) that would hook up well on the street and track, but not wear out in 10k miles. I know I'm asking to have my cake and eat it too, but I come from a long line of V6 stangs. So it's never been an issue for me. Thanks for any input
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I think for the 5.0, 600 with a good tune & gas is reasonable, maybe starting to push it. Also type of forced induction does make a difference, turbo(s) are safer to a higher level than superchargers due to the fact that more of the power makes it to the rear wheels rather than spinning the supercharger from the crank. Keeping the revs lower on higher boost (rather than extending the rev range on lower boost) helps keep the engine together.
My little 4.6 held together at 819RWHP with the stock block/bottom end, but there's no way I'd try to pass that off as sustainable in the long term, for the 4.6L 500 is the upper end of acceptable power for long term, for the 5.0L I've heard of several in the 600ish on the stock block.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Wow, 819 is impressive! I have done my research and most say that dollar for dollar the hit from the turbo is not from the turbine itself, but the cost of plumbing. I've also been told that of the supercharging methods, centrifugal is the easiest and least harmful. Essentially (Correct me if I'm wrong of course, I'm a weekend mechanic) a centrifugal supercharger is more or less a belt driven turbo. I've looked at the pros and cons of both and I think I'd prefer the Supercharger for my DD habits, but if you think it will tax my engine more heavily in the long run, I may have to reconsider. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

No, the supercharger kits are very safe. I ran a whipple for 2 years and the instant torque is very fun. The build up of power for centrifugals and turbos is spaced out over the rpm range giving less "shock" to the system, but making it tempting to extend the RPM range because unlike a twin screw or TVS, the centri & turbo are still on the upward power curve.
Yeah, the real cost for turbo is in all the plumbing. And yeah, the centri is essentially a turbo with a belt instead of the hot side.
I know a local guy who did NO2 with a centri to help with the low end torque, he had a built engine though.

As far as tires go, for street use I like Continental Extreme Contact DW, had a hard time breaking them loose in any gear other than first without doing a clutch dump, I couldn't say if they're any good at the strip though, probably not.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Well the street is all I'm really concerned with. I only take her to the track for testing and tuning. One last question, is the plumbing for the turbo a dramatic hit to the wallet? Or slightly inconvenient and a "hidden" cost? Although when I talk to a foreign car enthusiast, I like to rip my shirt off and beat my chest like a gorilla, the turbo may be the most efficient bet here. Just because it's not taking my power to make power. And I like that neither the turbo nor the centri won't make anything significant until about 3k rpm. Traction is hard enough without added power.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Power is Power.
There is no "one true way".
If I really wanted to impress the import crowd at 600RWHP, a twin screw or TVS is the best bet because of the low end torque... plus the whine is intoxicating, and seeing a big piece of metal on the top of the engine is so old school.

If I wanted something completely driveable with as few traction issues with a great top end, then centri.

For me though, I had a top speed in mind which will probably require 800-900RWHP, turbos gave the option of being able to turn down the boost for a street-able power level without having to break out the tools.