Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Lower foglight bulb replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Lower foglight bulb replacement???

I have a Canadian 2013 GT /w the lower fog lights and they appear to be ridiculously yellowish compared to the headlights.

I tend to be complete OCD about my headlights & fog lights not matching or at least being as close as possibly but the difference is ridiculously noticeable.

Forgive my nubness if this has been posted but I've checked multiple sites and
even the sylvania site which doesn't even have a listing for what bulbs are used
in the lower fog lights. I've found the headlights are D3S but cannot seem to find a listing on the fog lights bulb size.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Starkey Products
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BairdGT
I have a Canadian 2013 GT /w the lower fog lights and they appear to be ridiculously yellowish compared to the headlights.

I tend to be complete OCD about my headlights & fog lights not matching or at least being as close as possibly but the difference is ridiculously noticeable.

Forgive my nubness if this has been posted but I've checked multiple sites and
even the sylvania site which doesn't even have a listing for what bulbs are used
in the lower fog lights. I've found the headlights are D3S but cannot seem to find a listing on the fog lights bulb size.
I don't like the yellowish bulb with HID headlights either, they don't match at all. The stock bulb # is an H11 bulb. You can find LED bulbs on the market that have an H11 socket so your factory wiring plugs right in. But beware of lots, and lots of cheap LED bulbs on the market. Expect to pay $40+ for a quality set.

We will have a selection of LED bulbs available soon which can be purchased separately or with our fog light kits. If you want to PM me your email I can shoot you an email when they become available. They will use the highest quality LED chips and we will be testing them in all housings to make sure they fit.

Another option is you could convert to the GT grille mounted fog lights...
http://starkey-products.com/mustang-...t-v6-gtcs-2013

If you want to keep your lower valance lamps and don't want the grille mounted fog lights to act as daytime running lights this kit would be a better option (we can offer it without the fog light switch since you already have it):
http://starkey-products.com/2013-mus...it-v6-boss-302

Hope this helps!

-Jason
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately for you, "ridiculously yellowish" is also ridiculously functional. If you want your 10,000,000,000,000K headlights to match your fogs so your car looks "pretty", then don't make a stink when you can't see in dark, wet and/or foggy weather. From a lot of experience (round it off to 40 years) with different vehicles in some really crappy nightime driving, a 2000K fog lamp (pretty damned "ridiculously yellowish") out-performs anything 3000K and up as far as providing contrast to see marked lanes and the edges of the road.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

What Nuke said. The yellower the better for fog lights. Just because you don't like the look, you do want to see at night? Remember, they are designed for FOG, not as lights for looking pretty. For functionality, stick with the factory style or Sylvania's.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 PM
DeepImpactPony

http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/h11...FUZa4AodMzkAvA
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm not looking to put HIDs in the fog lights, like I said I'm a bit OCD about them matching or as close as possible, I know I can't have exact same without going to a HID kit but Sylvania makes some pretty whitish lights that'll atleast be a closer match then what they are now and still be functional, even though around these parts the worst fog we get you can still drive 100km/h through with no issues but just wasnt sure about the bulb size and everything i searched for seemed to come up about the grill fog lights.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

I put Hoen in mine https://www.2checkout.com/checkout/purchase
I don't have a picture of them at night with the heads on, but they do match the LED accent lights pretty close and a lot closer to the HID Headlights.
Name:  TOTD11-3-12010.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  108.4 KB
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starkey Products
I don't like the yellowish bulb with HID headlights either, they don't match at all. The stock bulb # is an H11 bulb. You can find LED bulbs on the market that have an H11 socket so your factory wiring plugs right in. But beware of lots, and lots of cheap LED bulbs on the market. Expect to pay $40+ for a quality set.
I purchased the Starkey kit for my 2011 & like it a lot.

My experience with LED bulbs is that they don't put out any light. They are more marker than actual seeing light. I've purposely chosen yellow JDM H11 Fog Lights for the reason Nuke & the others stated. They perform better in fog, which we have a lot out here. I've tried clear, LED & yellow, the clear & yellow H11s were by far the best. The LEDs were terrible, they were closer to $20 than $40 though.

Last edited by Joenpb; 02-26-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Then just get yellow bulbs

They will actually work in poor conditions, and will be obviously different enough to calm your OCD. Plus.. it will look mean with the lowers being yellow.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Mineral_GT
1st Gear Member

I totally agree with Baird ! I hate how my foglights dont match and am going to change the bulbs now that I found this post. I think my headlights will be bright enough if I loose brightness. I like the uniform look and I think the colors not matching gives the impression of cheap add ons

Quick Reply: Lower foglight bulb replacement???