Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 05:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Need help to install door projector lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Default Need help to install door projector lights

I bought door projector logo lights (they shine the Mustang Logo from the bottom of the door). You have to drill a hole in the bottom of your door to install them, they point at the ground and when the door is opened they will light up the ground with the Mustang logo. What I need help with is the electrical hookup. Each light comes with just a red and black wire to be hooked up to the power source. I assume the black wire would be to ground and the red wire to a live power source. I have read the instructions of how to install lighted door sills but they are wired together as one unit. It seems to me that I should be able to hook these up with the available power inside the door itself. The only problem is which wire will be active only when the door is opened? I have a wiring diagram from a Hayes manual that shows door ajar switches for each door. Ideally, this would be where I would like to get my power. Has anyone else done this or have any idea of how to do it?
BTW here is a link to what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...1ca25c&vxp=mtr
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

I would guess the first likely place to grab power in the door would be the hot wire for the window switch illumination. You could probably pop that panel off then use a tester to figure out if which wire (if any) gets power when the door is opened. Other than that you might have to go through the door "loom" to get to the cabin for power from the dome lights or under the door sills where power might be for illumiated door sills. That is where I would start (Keeps fingers crossed that there is a power source in the door). Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes. Your findings may be beneficial to others.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 AM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. The only problem with getting power from the window illumination switches is that they only are lighted when the lights are turned on. I want to get power "on" whenever the door is opened. You may be right, the only source may be the dome lights which will mean I will need to tap into the cabin wiring. Maybe someone else has done something like this or has more knowledge of what power is available inside the door wiring. I won't be doing this for awhile since it is much too cold to work in my garage right now. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

Tap into the dome light for this mod. Power for the courtesy lights.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I'd like to see the finished product! Always curious as to how these look
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Tap at the right windshield pillar just as you would for the lighted door sills. Look up the sticky thread here and use that source for your power. Works when you hit the key fob also. I have mine ready to install into the bottoms of the side mirrors. Mine will show the tri-bar Mustang logo. Looks very nice in theory. I still have to drill mine and install. I already have the sill plates added, so just tapping for more power there won't be hard. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

Yes, I think I will have to tap in to the same place you do for the lighted sills. It will not be as easy as it would have been to do this inside the doors but since we don't have any power there that is in sync with the door opener switches.....no other choice. I will post some pics once I get this all installed. It will probably be sometime in April or whenever it warms up a bit more in Michigan.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

bossd..why are you drilling into the bottom of the doors? Why not use the mirror bottoms to mount your lights? They fit into the wide part of the mirror head closest to the window, and have lots of room for them inside. They won't interfere with your mirrors and you can run your wires with the loom thru the door and into the cabin. I put mine there and they aren't visible to the eye, other than 1/4 inch of the retainer ring showing. You don't see it, and the light can be turned to meet your wants and needs. It really puts a nice lighted logo on the ground and lights up a decent sized area. Besides, if you don't like them, you won't have holes to fill and you can always replace your mirrors easier. Besides, the 2011 and up mirrors for the S197 are easy enough to find and install. I like the way they added the convex mirrors to them and the replaceable mirror caps on the 11's and up.

When you mount it in the door bottom, you will get a brighter light, but only in a compact area. Also, you won't see it until your door is open. With the mirror mounting, it comes on when you hit the Fob to open the doors and gives you about 4 feet or so of circled light. Very cool looking. I've only mounted them so far, and don't have the wires fully ran, but next week, everything will be back together and with the melted snow here, maybe drive it. One can only wish and hope, eh? Pictures to follow.

Last edited by akdoggie; 03-10-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

You have a very good point that I haven't considered. I am looking forward to your pictures. I want to see how well they light up the ground. Also, hope you have some of the mirror, inside and out too.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bossdriver
You have a very good point that I haven't considered. I am looking forward to your pictures. I want to see how well they light up the ground. Also, hope you have some of the mirror, inside and out too.
They actually started putting these in the new Mustang's mirrors.

Quick Reply: Need help to install door projector lights