Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery will not hold a charge...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default Battery will not hold a charge...

Some background...I drive my car once or twice a week around town as I take the bus to work. My battery is four months old. Tried to start it the other day, and it lost power. I charged it with a Battery Tender Plus charger overnight and it was fully charged. Drove around for maybe 10 minutes, and the voltage gauge went red, lights went out, and it died. Charged the battery again and had it tested at Advanced Auto Parts, they said it was fully charged. I'm thinking it's the alternator, any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Some good tips.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Initially sounded like you had some parasitic loss issues, but from that last part I would guess it is in fact your alternator. Common issue with S197 alternators, as they are of very poor quality to begin with.

Did advance auto test your alternator? Are you throwing any codes? Any other strange electrical related problems?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Why wouldnt they test alt for you at same time as battery? I guess thats why they only make minimum wage. doh

Sound like alt but check the alt fuse before changing it. Usually the alt will thow a false code for you cam pos sensor, you should get the batt light on dash if its not charging.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

+1 sounds like the alternator. Very common issue. Have Advance run an alternator test as previously mentioned. Surprised they didn't already do that!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

For me, I had the same issue, but wasn't the alternator. Turned out to be the faulty Shaker stereo, and the amps were staying on if I didn't turn the radio off before I shut off the ignition. Apparently common with the S197 with Shakers.

By the time I figured out the problem, the battery was already damaged by several deep drains and could no longer hold a charge very well. $100 bucks later, I had a new battery.

Since I was out of warranty after I figured this out, I just make sure to switch the radio to FM mode, and turn it off before I turn the ignition off. If I forget, I switch the accessories on again, turn off the radio, and then turn the key off.

*Edit* - Oppps, just noticed you had your battery tested and they said it was full? Then its probably the alternator.

Last edited by SD 197; 03-03-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the S197 alternators being a weak link. Have it tested

You mention that you drive around town once or twice a week. Any city driving where you're putting on only a few miles, stop and go, and with any decent amount of power being drawn (A/C, high power audio, etc) will not give the alternator ; even a healthy one; sufficient time to charge the battery.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I didn't have the altenator tested as the battery would most likely of died by the time I got there. Not throwing any codes, never had any electrical issues, always turn the radio off before turning off the vehicle. I noticed some slight metallic or screaching type of noises on cold starts, which fade away after the car warms up. Taking it to a performance shop on Tuesday to have it looked at. Any suggestions for altenators besides the stock one? Thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

PA Performance supposedly makes da very good replacement. Although I've been fortunate with the OE alternators in my '07 and thewife's '06, other forum members give them a thumbs up.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:53 AM
cdaelene

Default Alternator

Good morning, I have a 2004 mustang that just got a new battery installed for the new year. It is getting nicer out and I would like to drive it. I went to get in it the other day and it was dead. Once it is going will it run okay? The only thing on is the theft light. Is that really using that much power?! Is there anything else I can do for the Alternator or a different kind I can put in that will last longer then this? It’s been a week and it os dead again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery will not hold a charge...