Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still getting wheelhop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default still getting wheelhop!

Since getting some stickier summer tires, it will wheel hop a little under certain conditions. Other times it just spins.

This morning the road was wet and I started off a little to aggressive from a stop light. It started to spin then jumped up and down just enough to feel annoying.

I have J&M extreme joint lowers with a Che upper. I even took the lowers off to check the bushings, but they were fine. I would really like zero wheel hop at all times.

Should I get some lowers with spherical bearings on one end and poly on the other like Spohn's? Or is my only option a spherical bearing on both ends?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

Your mod list shows you have relocation brackets, is that for the sway bar or lower control arms? If lca have you tried moving the control arms down into lower holes?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Have you set your pinion angle?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheLockNLoad
Your mod list shows you have relocation brackets, is that for the sway bar or lower control arms? If lca have you tried moving the control arms down into lower holes?
I have both, but I have the Che relo brackets and they only have one hole.

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Have you set your pinion angle?

I have adjusted it many, many times. It's currently angled down 1.5 degrees. I had it angled up 2 degrees at one point and would loose traction from a 3rd gear roll with my pzero all seasons, but no wheel hop.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-19-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
TheLockNLoad
1st Gear Member

Your pinion angle seems about right (you could go down another .5 - 1deg and see if that makes any difference), the only other thing I can think of is to get a set of lca relocation brackets (like BMR) that lets you change the geometry more then your che brackets.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Since getting some stickier summer tires, it will wheel hop a little under certain conditions. Other times it just spins.

This morning the road was wet and I started off a little to aggressive from a stop light. It started to spin then jumped up and down just enough to feel annoying.

I have J&M extreme joint lowers with a Che upper. I even took the lowers off to check the bushings, but they were fine. I would really like zero wheel hop at all times.

Should I get some lowers with spherical bearings on one end and poly on the other like Spohn's? Or is my only option a spherical bearing on both ends?
Hey Moose...I just popped a Swarr Bar on my GT500 (547 rwhp)...I havent had much wheelhop since putting Steeda LCA's on...but I have to say the one time I drove it and launched it hard...it felt much more straight and solid...might take a look at it...AM has them...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
Hey Moose...I just popped a Swarr Bar on my GT500 (547 rwhp)...I havent had much wheelhop since putting Steeda LCA's on...but I have to say the one time I drove it and launched it hard...it felt much more straight and solid...might take a look at it...AM has them...
Interesting, so it just clamps around each axle tube?

I ordered the spohn poly/delrin-spherical bearing lca's. The J&M extreme joints are basically a metal ball surrounded by poly bushings for more articulation, while the spohn's are the same concept only they use delrin around the metal ball for less deflection.

The J&M extreme joint could be cracked inside, it's hard to tell with them off the car and I couldn't get the rear bushing apart to check for wear.

I know loosing traction is inevitable on street tires, but when I do, I want it to melt the tires into the ground and not hop at all.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Interesting, so it just clamps around each axle tube?

I ordered the spohn poly/delrin-spherical bearing lca's. The J&M extreme joints are basically a metal ball surrounded by poly bushings for more articulation, while the spohn's are the same concept only they use delrin around the metal ball for less deflection.

The J&M extreme joint could be cracked inside, it's hard to tell with them off the car and I couldn't get the rear bushing apart to check for wear.

I know loosing traction is inevitable on street tires, but when I do, I want it to melt the tires into the ground and not hop at all.
take a look on AM...shows some pics... probably easier then me trying to explain ...
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 PM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Do you have relocation brackets for your LCA's?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

What kind of shocks are you running?

Quick Reply: still getting wheelhop!