Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Spoiler /w Camera & Rear View

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Default OEM Spoiler /w Camera & Rear View

I'll give a summary of the situation..

Purchased 2013 Mustang GT (Canada) & requested Spoiler /w camera and rear view in the deal said no problem it just has to be ordered we have none in stock.. ok works for me I said..

First time I take it in.. Drop it off at 8am. I phone at 3 to get an update and it hadn't even been brought into the shop yet and ask if they can have it over the weekend so monday morning they can start it.. (I couldn't as I was headed out of town and needed the vehicle).

So, we rebook

Second time I take it in... same idea drop it off at 8:30am and phone at 3 to get an update.. They just drove it in to find the spoiler isn't painted (shakes my head & facepalm) so another day of it being there all day and untouched.

Again... we rebook

Today I take it in at 8:30am and I get a phone call around 3:30 saying there has been some issues but the spoiler is on but the rear view hasnt been touched yet and stuff.. He says it takes 6-8hrs to wire up the spoiler and the rear view i'm like well I got appointments tomorrow morning so we'll book it in again for the wiring..

I did some research and from what I could find because i got sync and shaker 500 system there is some programming so I phone another dealership and tell them the situation and the time frame the first dealership told me and they said that seems way off and say it's like 30min to wire everything up and some possible programming..

MY QUESTION is has anyone installed a OEM or work at FORD and has done this install and can tell me if either of these dealerships are full of sh*t.

Much Appreciated!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by BairdGT
I'll give a summary of the situation..

Purchased 2013 Mustang GT (Canada) & requested Spoiler /w camera and rear view in the deal said no problem it just has to be ordered we have none in stock.. ok works for me I said...
Hello BaidGT,

My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 and have them document your experience with your dealer.

Deysha
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

take it to another dealer.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

What are they using for a display? They order you the mirror too?? Or do you have the Nav screen? You are the first person I have heard of that is trying to add the OEM Backup Camera to their Mustang.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Dmhines: They ordered the rear view mirror with the spoiler (the ones they show on the ford website when choosing options) Apparently I'm the only person EVER to want this feature without having a factory built one.. I talked to 2 other dealerships and none of their techs have EVER added the oem rear view & spoiler camera, I guess even tho it's an option while pricing one out the vehicle isn't prewired for this option so it's gotta be hardwired from front to back (facepalm)

If I would have know this I would have just bought the navi package aswell so it was 100x easier! but of course this isnt mentioned I got the "not a problem, we just gotta order the parts in and then we'll book you in for service when it comes in"

absolute nightmare!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

So... The nightmare has gotten EVEN worse!

Car was taken in today to do the "6-8hrs" of wiring.. I get a phone call around 2:30 saying they've found the wiring in the rear for the camera and even the wiring for the front however they don't have the harnesses to run to the rear view mirror so they gotta order more stuff in order to get this to work and are not 100% sure if it'll work guess if I had navi there wouldn't be an issue..

So, I toss the idea well what if I give back the mirror ($1200 for the rear view mirror) and pay the difference for the navi package or something like that.. Since I don't really wanna lose sync or steering wheel controls. Since I don't like any of the aftermarket install kits for the '13 mustang and was under the impression that if I should change my mind I could upgrade the electronic package and go with ford navi instead of aftermarket, I toss the idea well the rear view is 1200 bucks so what about if I give back the mirror and pay the difference for the navi package.. well that idea isnt even plausible apparently if your Mustang doesn't come with navi you can't upgrade to Fords navi package you must go aftermarket (double facepalm)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

yeah, changing the harness is a bit of a big job.

i added a rear view camera to my '10. added a f150 rear view mirror (same mirror) I got off ebay for $300 and a generic aftermarket rear camera (didn't want to use the spoiler mount camera). had to make a special adapter to use current harness and attach to the rear view mirror (thanks to folks on the f150 forum, b/c many people there did the conversion.. I think wiring is slightly different on '13s otherwise I would give you the adapter.

honestly, my advice to you is to get a scosche or metra aftermarket install kit and get yourself a nice Alpine or pioneer navigation head unit, like I did. run the wires from the rear camera spoiler to the nav unit and you will have a back up camera. for $1000 to $1,300, you will have a great navi head unit, it will look factory, and you should still be able to use your steering wheel controls.

I don't regret losing sync myself. a good navi head unit can do 90-95%% of what sync does.

Last edited by bones302; 03-21-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

yea, I got a Avic-140BH sitting right beside me but I'm not a fan of the unit being so low like it better higher up and I'm not a huge fan of the touch screen replacement of the controls.. My first thoughts were too put in the Pioneer deck but neither the Scosche and Metra install kits I like at all
Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Even if they get the entire thing wired up .. are they going to be able to program the car to make it operational ??? I'm pretty sure it not gonna just by plugging it in.

I just added a factory rear view camera to my Jeep. It was a MOPAR accessory and after I installed it .. I still had to take it to the dealer to have the STARSCAN my PCM or TIPM or whatever they do to activate the feature. Its a little more complicated than just plug and play .. more like plug and program and play.

Since the rear camera parts are NOT a Ford accessory part .. merely a replacement part .. I assume they are using wiring diagrams and parts lists to get the right harnesses plugged into the right places.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Yea, they gotta program it to accept the camera, but the parts they ordered are the same ones you'd get when you do "build & price".

The tech that looked at it said from what they looked up all the wiring is there except for the rear view mirror.. If I had navi there wouldnt be any issues as the wiring goes to where the navi would be but no wiring up by the rear view so they gotta create a harness to go from under the dash up into the roof and to the rear view mirror..

The GM, Sales Manager and Operations Manager are all sitting down to discuss this issue as the Sales Manager (one who signed when i bought the vehicle) has the same concern as me.. they said 95% chance it'll work but that's not a 100% gaurantee and from everyone they've talked too I'm the first person ever to have the camera installed after getting the car and not having it built from factory he's like I don't like the idea of your brand new purchase basically being a test dummy to see if this works..

Quick Reply: OEM Spoiler /w Camera & Rear View