Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal still a little soft after bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 90_notch
Zinda is correct, as there should have been no air in the lines to bubble out. It is a closed system, and you do not need to bleed the brakes for simply changing the pads and rotors. I understand why you did, but if the fluid was discolored and had air in it, you may have a bad master cylinder, or bad lines. I have had a bad master cylinder before, and the pedal was spongy, and I had to keep pressing the pedal harder and harder, to keep the car from rolling at stop lights. It would stop the car, but then slowly loose pressure and the car would start rolling. Check everthing to be safe.
Not completely. Moisture in the air can get into the system via the rubber hoses or even the plastic reservoir. That's why many auto techs, including Pat Goss of MotorWeek, recommend flushing the brake system at least every two years.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
90_notch
1st Gear Member

Art161 is absolutely correct. Plug the output ports on the master cylinder, and see if you can hold pressure on the pedal. If the pedal starts to drift down at all, then replace it. If you do replace it, be sure to bench bleed the new one before you install it, using the included instructions, or you will still have a spongy pedal due to air traped in the new master cylinder.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

I'll check that out fellas, thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daltron
First off, I hope I am posting in the right section. My apologies if not, haven't visited the forum in quite a while.

The pedal feel was considerably better than it was originally, but it wasn't what I expected (still soft).

I was wondering if anyone can add some insight into what might be causing it and how I can remedy the situation, thanks!
It may be that there is nothing wrong with the system. The brake pads take a little while to break in. The pedal can feel a little soft during this break in period.

Of course, check and make sure everything is in proper working order. Trying to stop an S197 with no brakes is a little difficult. If you don't find anything obviously wrong, then try driving it for a week or so and see what the pedal feels like.

Last edited by JThor; 03-25-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-25-2013, 04:33 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
It may be that there is nothing wrong with the system. The brake pads take a little while to break in. The pedal can feel a little soft during this break in period.

Of course, check and make sure everything is in proper working order. Trying to stop an S197 with no brakes is a little difficult. If you don't find anything obviously wrong, then try driving it for a week or so and see what the pedal feels like.
Good to know, I wasn't aware the pedal could firm up over time.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Good to know, I wasn't aware the pedal could firm up over time.
Also, be careful about opening up the system. If air gets into the ABS (I think the 2005's had ABS), it can be a PITA to get out. You will probably have to go to the dealer and get the system flushed in that case. Unless you are really sure that you have a master cylinder problem, I would be hesitant to open up those lines.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor
Also, be careful about opening up the system. If air gets into the ABS (I think the 2005's had ABS), it can be a PITA to get out. You will probably have to go to the dealer and get the system flushed in that case. Unless you are really sure that you have a master cylinder problem, I would be hesitant to open up those lines.
I am having my transmission flushed this weekend, and I'm thinking I might get the brakes flushed professionally there.

$190 for both trans/brake flush isn't bad and on the brake side it's just an additional $20 over what a vacuum pump + new fluid would cost.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I am having my transmission flushed this weekend, and I'm thinking I might get the brakes flushed professionally there.

$190 for both trans/brake flush isn't bad and on the brake side it's just an additional $20 over what a vacuum pump + new fluid would cost.
That sounds like a good price. The dealer nearby me wants $68.00 plus fluid for a flush. My car is overdue. I'm probably going to get it done in a couple of weeks. Unless you have the special tools you can't flush the ABS. It has to be someone with the right tools. Whoever you are having do the work, make sure the shop has the tools to cycle the ABS during the flush. Otherwise, the ABS will not get flushed.

Last edited by JThor; 03-25-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
daltron
1st Gear Member

I have not been driving it this week and tonight I took a short 10 minute trip and the pedal has firmed up. I like my pedal really firm, so I'm not sure if I'm just being too picky.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

I have not been driving it this week and tonight I took a short 10 minute trip and the pedal has firmed up. I like my pedal really firm, so I'm not sure if I'm just being too picky.
Excellent! Must have been just break in. It doesn't take very long for the pads to seat.