Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How dumb would it be to buy a GT (manual?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
zworld
1st Gear Member

Everyone should know how to drive a stick.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Well, can you tear it up, yes, especially if you don't practice on something. Will you embarrass yourself, yes. Everyone dumps the clutch once in a while though. Just hope you don't do it in front of a girl your trying to impress, or your kids high school class (depends on how old you are). It will be a pain in the neck sometimes.
All that being said, it will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.
These guys are right though. Find something to practice on, doesn't have to be a mustang, just a stick.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Reaper05

I went from driving an automatic 05 GT to driving an 07 GT500 with basically zero experience with a stick, and I learned it in no time. When you're learning the manual, you have to get in the mindset that yes, you are going to stall out a few times, and that's perfectly OK.

The day I got my Shelby I drove it over to another town about 10 miles away from my place to go to this nice restaurant to celebrate. The town has about 7000 4-way stop intersections and, at one of those intersections, I stalled out. I fired the car back up, waved to the guy stuck behind me, fed on the gas while releasing the clutch and, stalled again. And again, and again. After the onset of total panic on my part the guy behind me gets out, and walks up to me (I'm assuming he's going to scream at me for not being able to drive) looks at me in the car and says "think you're in third dude."
I look down and, sure enough, I was in 3rd gear, not 1st. He then looks at the car and says "nice car man, did you just buy it or steal it?"
Since then I've stalled many times more, and I'm sure I will again, but never once has anyone honked at me, yelled at me, or behaved in anyway other than total patience.

So don't be afraid of stalling, or hurting the car, or being embarrassed, because driving a damn good car with a proper manual transmission is one of the most enjoyable experiences out there.

There. that's my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Don't be afraid of a manual. It should be a requirement to learn. That being said, if it's your DD, buy the auto. Just my two cents.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
JK 23112

I have had four Mustang GT coupes -- all of them being equipped with a 5spd manual transmission. I would never buy one with a slushbox, but that is just me.

Truth be told, today's auto transmissions are leaps and bounds above those of just a few years ago. Only a near-expert driver is going to be able to get better acceleration and performance from a stick-shift.....but they are just a hell of a lot more fun!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

For me it's always been about having more control of the car. Clearly a manual offers that over a conventional auto. Unitl Mustangs come with dual clutch transmissions you will never have the same feel or level of control.

I can modulate the torque on launch to get just the right amout of slip or traction...that's harder to do with an auto. It's true the autos of today don't
rob as much tq/hp as they did even 5 yrs. ago.

Go manual with a steed.

Tom

Last edited by THS_Steed06; 04-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

I was in the same exact position you are in know. I ended up going with a stick and to be quite honest the first month was terrible. I would stall all the time, and was always terribly nervous on hills. But i learned and it was the best choice i made i will probably never again own an automatic car again. You will not regret getting a stick!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 PM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zach S.
but everyone is telling me you cant get a muscle car that is an automatic because that is like wearing a rain suit to shower.
I would never buy an auto myself, but that there is just exaggeration. An auto muscle car is still better than any bland commuter vehicle on the road. Now, if you were talking about front wheel drive...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
aleit2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Reaper05
I went from driving an automatic 05 GT to driving an 07 GT500 with basically zero experience with a stick, and I learned it in no time. When you're learning the manual, you have to get in the mindset that yes, you are going to stall out a few times, and that's perfectly OK.

The day I got my Shelby I drove it over to another town about 10 miles away from my place to go to this nice restaurant to celebrate. The town has about 7000 4-way stop intersections and, at one of those intersections, I stalled out. I fired the car back up, waved to the guy stuck behind me, fed on the gas while releasing the clutch and, stalled again. And again, and again. After the onset of total panic on my part the guy behind me gets out, and walks up to me (I'm assuming he's going to scream at me for not being able to drive) looks at me in the car and says "think you're in third dude."
I look down and, sure enough, I was in 3rd gear, not 1st. He then looks at the car and says "nice car man, did you just buy it or steal it?"
Since then I've stalled many times more, and I'm sure I will again, but never once has anyone honked at me, yelled at me, or behaved in anyway other than total patience.

So don't be afraid of stalling, or hurting the car, or being embarrassed, because driving a damn good car with a proper manual transmission is one of the most enjoyable experiences out there.

There. that's my 2 cents.
Haha, thats a pretty great story. Good thing the guy behind you was a bro and was able to make a joke of it rather than getting pissy.

I learned how to drive with a manual, its more fun, requires more concentration which makes you less apt to lose focus elswhere (aka texting and what not). Autos have their place, but for a non-drag dedicated mustang, you're doing yourself an injustice by not getting a stick.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I didnt know how to drive a manual when I bought my 2000. I went to a dealership and asked to test drive a manual, after I figured out how to drive it I went to another dealership and bought a "unmolested" manual.

With that said, dont buy a car just because the rest of the world says to. Buy the one that fits your need. Remember that you arent "settleing" for an auto, you would actually be upgrading since they are around $900more than the "base" manuals. Hence why the GTA mustangs got special badges.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 04-08-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: How dumb would it be to buy a GT (manual?)