Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How dumb would it be to buy a GT (manual?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

All the drag racers are using auto's, they are faster and MPG is up, but I think that's from
the 3.15 gears. Good for milage bad for acceleration. If your not a stick-guy don't get a stick. Get an auto and you won't have to worry as much when you let a chick drive it.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:50 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Get a 2013 or newer.. Hill Start Assist for newbs is built in.

btw, VistaBlueFrank, this girl has zero problem driving her manual transmission car. What I'm worried about is guys who think they can drive stick stalling my car or grinding gears.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

The answer is simple at this point.. You've read 5 pages of personal thoughts and experiences with all about the same response. IF you DONT get the manual you will regret it the whole time the car is owned. And eventually trade for a stick one day.. Get the stick shift and be done. If you don't know anybody who can be in the car with you YouTube is very useful a well. I personally would never own a auto gt unless I was at the drag strip every weekend. I can assure you will enjoy it 1000 times more !!!

Last edited by drewsky; 04-14-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zach S.
Don't let the title fool you. i want a GT but i only know how to drive automatic. but everyone is telling me you cant get a muscle car that is an automatic because that is like wearing a rain suit to shower. So my question is could i break the car if i get a stick? will i embarass myself with terrible driving? how hard is it to learn? or should i just get an automatic? i like the idea behind stick except for heavy traffic it seems annoying and on hills

i get the concepts behind shifting and what the gears and clutch do so its not like i have absolutely no knowledge of what i'm doing. drove a stick once.

what do you think?
You've got one big thing going for you - you aren't trying to learn stick at the same time you're trying to learn the rules of the road and the rest of what it takes to keep the car under control. So a lot of that stuff should be second-nature demanding little or no active thought.

Then again, both of our kids had to learn it all at once, since it's been over 40 years since we last owned a car with an automatic transmission. Our daughter (who turns 38 this summer) is genuinely excited about getting back into a manual tranny car of her own after seven years or so driving a Honda Pilot.

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Don't be afraid of a manual. It should be a requirement to learn. That being said, if it's your DD, buy the auto. Just my two cents.
But if it is your DD you'll get better at it much faster than if it's only an occasional-use car. After a while it becomes "just the way this car drives" and you'll stop consciously thinking about it completely.

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
You can get any GT into 1st without using the gas on flat roads... Thus you should not be stalling.

A Mustang is the easiest car to learn on because of the torque, you can screw up time and time again and not stall.
Part of EFI programming makes it a lot less likely to stall than with the carbureted engines of the past, though not impossible.

Norm
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
Every GT can get into 1st with no gas.... Every single one, you just have to know how to drive the car properly. Thus on a flat road for new drivers, leave the gas alone at first to learn how to slowly release the clutch..
Which someone learning to drive one for the first time doesnt know yet, hence the first time driving one part. To tell the OP that the car wont stall even without giving it gas is completely wrong, because he will go buy one thinking this, stall it out in traffic and get pissed that there is something wrong with the car and give up learning.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think the intent is to give OP the idea that there is some tolerance for sloppy clutch work. IOW, that you don't have to get it 100% perfect in order to not stall. Knowing that it's not a pass/fail thing should let OP take some of the self-imposed stress off of himself.

Norm
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yuh, some cars have to be shifted perfectly every time or they stall/buck. Mustangs are very forgiving.