Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How dumb would it be to buy a GT (manual?)

Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Zach S.

Default How dumb would it be to buy a GT (manual?)

Don't let the title fool you. i want a GT but i only know how to drive automatic. but everyone is telling me you cant get a muscle car that is an automatic because that is like wearing a rain suit to shower. So my question is could i break the car if i get a stick? will i embarass myself with terrible driving? how hard is it to learn? or should i just get an automatic? i like the idea behind stick except for heavy traffic it seems annoying and on hills

i get the concepts behind shifting and what the gears and clutch do so its not like i have absolutely no knowledge of what i'm doing. drove a stick once.

what do you think?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zach S.
Don't let the title fool you. i want a GT but i only know how to drive automatic. but everyone is telling me you cant get a muscle car that is an automatic because that is like wearing a rain suit to shower. So my question is could i break the car if i get a stick? will i embarass myself with terrible driving? how hard is it to learn? or should i just get an automatic? i like the idea behind stick except for heavy traffic it seems annoying and on hills

i get the concepts behind shifting and what the gears and clutch do so its not like i have absolutely no knowledge of what i'm doing. drove a stick once.

what do you think?
get the manual. you wont regret it. If you get an auto, im not saying you'll regret it by any means, but the "fun" factor of driving wont be there as much.

Its not that hard honestly just get the feel for it. its all muscle memory and knowing your car and where the clutch engages, etc.

DONT BE AFRAID TO STALL. it happens to everyone when they first start, just dont panic, start the car again and take your time on the take off, people can wait a second its not a huge deal. as far as hills, practice on small inclines, and progress. You might jerk the car or stall a couple times like i said, but its worth it in the end! a great skill to have. I have 3 mustangs and all are manual, wouldnt have it another way.

its not as annoying in heavy traffic as you would think by the way, at least in my opinion. definitly get the manual if youre up for it, and i would recommend starting out in an empty parking lot for a while and getting used to hit, then hit a couple side streets with stop signs so you can learn to stop and go.

hope this helps!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Find a friend with a manual that will teach you. That's what I did about two days before I bought mine. Didn't take long. Horror story getting back with my new manual Mustang though, I got stuck in LA traffic the day that I bought it and was far from proficient with shifting. I stalled so much and got lost that I haven't had any issues driving it since. Get the manual! Don't worry about anyone around you, don't be afraid to stall. Some folks will get mad, but just remember to take a breath and think about what needs to happen. Don't think about the car behind you, they can wait.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have an auto and I love it, but I would love a manual more. The auto is consistent so of you want to race at all it might be better until you are experienced

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

I've driven a manuals for years, and they're all a little bit of a learning curve. I'm not a fan of the clutch in my 13 but it's easy to shift.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM
kdryan
2nd Gear Member

Go rent a car with a manual transmission for a few days and learn on that. It will cost you a few bucks, but a lot less than a new clutch...
Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I would definitely try driving a manual before buying one. I had a manual transmission car and never was able to really get the hang of it. If a friend has a manual, you might not remain friends if he/she agrees to let you learn on their car.

I doubt that rental car companies have manual transmission cars in their fleets. You could see whether a driving school does, and you get the bonus of someone sitting next to you and instructing you.

And yeah, you have to be prepared to stall. Even experienced manual transmission drivers do that occasionally.

Have fun, no matter what you decide.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:24 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Hills are not a problem I don't know about GT's under 2013 but it keeps it's breaks on for 2 seconds after you let off when it detects an incline. Surprised the hell out of me the first time I did not roll back on a hill. Although keep in mind it needs to be a big enough hill for it to pick up on it does it does not do it all the time.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Like riding a bike, the more you do it the more natural it becomes.

This is an old, old concern that's brought up quite often and will get you all the confusing answers that you can imagine. Automatics USED to be slower than manuals but now autos hold their own, being more efficient than the "old" days.

So, coming from a guy that wouldn't have bought a Stang if it wasn't manual: You ride an auto but you DRIVE a manual.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Both of my GTs were manual, I cant tell you how much fun it is...forget using your phone in town... If you cant leave your phone in your pocket while driving, a stick may not be for you. I taught my daughter in one afternoon. You can always use the hand brake to get going on hills...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How dumb would it be to buy a GT (manual?)