Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:49 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Advice on Upgrades.

Ok, here it goes...Just Purchased a Brand New '13 GT/CS In September prior to leaving on Deployment (in the Navy). Getting ready to return and looking at doing some serious upgrades to the Car. Currently it is bone stock, here is what I'm looking at doing, Any Advice would be great! (Newly Refined with Links ^.^)

Current - Car is a Standard, with 3.73 Gears, The rest is bone stock.

Mod List :

Short Shifter - Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket - MT-82

Headers - Borla XR-1 Long Tube Headers

Exhaust - Flowmaster Outlaw Catback Exhaust OR Borla Stinger S-Type Catback Exhaust

SuperCharger - Roush R2300 625HP Supercharger + Roush Phase 2 to Phase 3 Supercharger Upgrade Kit

CAI/Tune - JLT CAI and Bama Tuner or Steeda CAI and SF3 Tuner

This is where I'm currently at...Now my main issue is, In what order to purchase parts, I'm giving myself a Limit of 5k (Unless I go SuperCharger, then thats the only upgrade for a while), So, I Can go one of many Routes.

Purchase a Supercharger and go all out, or Purchase basically everything else on the list and wait on the Supercharger.

Here is my question however, Would it be more beneficial to Purchase the Flowmaster Exhaust + Borla headers or just the Borla exhaust, because I'm not currently willing to drop over 2grand on Just the Exhaust/Headers for both Borla sets.

Any Opinions on CAI? I know that there can't be much of a difference, But every bit of performance I can squeeze out for my $ Is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any advice/Ideas!

Last edited by FivePointToTheOh; 04-20-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Congratulations on the Awesome pick up, I love the GT/CS! It sounds like you have some really great mods planned for your new Mustang.

My first recommendations to anyone entering the modification game is always CAI/Tune/Exhaust! This will definitely get the air flowing and the tune will really wake up your Mustang. The high compression Coyote Motors love nitrous, so a 150 shot would definitely put you into the mid 10 second range in the quarter mile, pretty easily!

Keep up the great work and please let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance! Most importantly, Thank you for your service and bravery.

-Dan
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

go with the Whipple
very reliable SC.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh
Ok, here it goes...Just Purchased a Brand New '13 GT/CS In September prior to leaving on Deployment (in the Navy). Getting ready to return and looking at doing some serious upgrades to the Car. Currently it is bone stock, here is what I'm looking at doing, Any Advice would be great!

Exhaust - Borla S-Type Best (Best sounding exhaust in my opinion)

CAI - Undecided, But want a cover to prevent water entry from Hood Vents

Tune - Bama or Lethal Performance

Induction - Undecided, not sure If I should go with the new ProCharger, Or go for a standard Whipple.

Nitrous - ZEX 150 Kit.

Gearing - Currently have 3.73 Gears.

Transmission - Stock 6-Speed Manual.

Any advice or better parts let me know.
If u plan on a supercharger then don't get the CAI. That's extra money out of your pocket. 373s is a good gear. Id stick to them. As far as Tuners. There are a lot but if you get a supercharger then a dyno run is needed. IF you do get a supercharger id consider a catch can for your bypass.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

CAI/TUNE is one of the items that I'm interested in I'm just not sure the path to go.

Should I.

A. Spend a few grand on a Supercharger now and put down some great power.

B. Spend a few grand on Exhaust/Air Filter/Tune/Headers/Cams and make some good power and set my self up for a larger Supercharger.

My end goal is 600 RWHP, Not much more, I'm not looking at turning this car into a Drag Monster...I'm 22 and still need a daily driver, But the ability to make a car that can smash my fathers '06 Goat, Is a prospect that I just can't pass up
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
Congratulations on the Awesome pick up, I love the GT/CS! It sounds like you have some really great mods planned for your new Mustang.

My first recommendations to anyone entering the modification game is always CAI/Tune/Exhaust! This will definitely get the air flowing and the tune will really wake up your Mustang. The high compression Coyote Motors love nitrous, so a 150 shot would definitely put you into the mid 10 second range in the quarter mile, pretty easily!

Keep up the great work and please let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance! Most importantly, Thank you for your service and bravery.

-Dan
Thanks, Thats what my initial ideas held, But with the amount I'm looking at doing I'm just not sure on the route, Keep it small with bolt ons and such and put out decent power, or go all out on a super and put down the big power now and add on the little stuff as I go along.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

-Dan
Thanks, Thats what my initial ideas held, But with the amount I'm looking at doing I'm just not sure on the route, Keep it small with bolt ons and such and put out decent power, or go all out on a super and put down the big power now and add on the little stuff as I go along.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Do the supercharger and if u want the other then add it. Your exhaust note will change when u have a supercharger on. I however think NOS is horrible bc u can't use it for DD. and it gets expensive. U o bolt ons then u will most likely not smash him. U need to do it right if u want 600 to the wheel
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Do the supercharger and if u want the other then add it. Your exhaust note will change when u have a supercharger on. I however think NOS is horrible bc u can't use it for DD. and it gets expensive. U o bolt ons then u will most likely not smash him. U need to do it right if u want 600 to the wheel
I Honestly think I've decided to go the slower route, simply for the fact of where I'm stationed at the moment.

In HI there is not alot of room to use an immense amount of power, spending 2-3k I can easily make over 450RWHP, and in such get the performance I'm looking for, and allow myself to keep some in the pocket for a larger Blower (More over a 4L than a 2.3L) When I move Stations in the new few years.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
go with the Whipple
very reliable SC.
Just read your location, Was curious, Know of any good shops/Clubs for mustang enthusiasts on Oahu?

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Upgrades.