Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Shifter Debate.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Incorrect. I powershift at 6500 with ease. The secret is the MGW.

I drag race
Lol you have motor work done? Our power drops off after 5500-5700 for the most part from what I've seen which is why I shift there even when I'm drag racing haha. Although I'm also blown on a stock motor and clutch so you wont catch me going over 6K anytime soon hahahaha
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
Lol you have motor work done? Our power drops off after 5500-5700 for the most part from what I've seen which is why I shift there even when I'm drag racing haha. Although I'm also blown on a stock motor and clutch so you wont catch me going over 6K anytime soon hahahaha
Stock block top to bottom. It's sorta my thing. Shifted at 6000+ about 750 times at this point (250 runs, 3 shifts per run). Rev that sucker up, brotha. You're leaving a lot of usable hp on the table by shifting well before that kenne bell runs out of steam.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Not a racer here, mines just a street car. I think the factory shifter is great myself, of course I haven't driven a Mustang with an aftermarket shifter either.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
jim karns

Default Shifter issues

My 13' Stang is awesome. The Achilles’ heel to this car is the shifter. I installed the Barton 2 post bracket and DIDN'T SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT (OK - maybe a little)!!! ??? Very confused - as this is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and prom queens. Still having issues with the 2nd to 3rd power shifts??? Anyone's input would be appreciated!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jim karns
My 13' Stang is awesome. The Achilles’ heel to this car is the shifter. I installed the Barton 2 post bracket and DIDN'T SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT (OK - maybe a little)!!! ??? Very confused - as this is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and prom queens. Still having issues with the 2nd to 3rd power shifts??? Anyone's input would be appreciated!
Your mistake my friend was buying the barton, I've currently had the MGW installed for around two and a half months and I can easily say it is by far the best modification I've done. Shifts are flawless and precise, have not missed a single gear since installing no matter how hard I push her.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I got the Barton 2 post installed on my '13 and I have found that if I shift from 2 to 3 at 6000-6200rpm I have yet to miss a shift yet if I shift at 6500+ I miss it every time.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
There is no debate. MGW.
I agree 110%
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
MGW.

FYI, the guy that started it makes precision gun parts for Sigarms, Beretta, and Triijcon, and makes car parts because he loves cars that much and shares our passion for going faster.

MGW is made by a real American car man for real American cars.

MGW makes things used by Marines and Army grunts.

Barton's cute.
Would they throw in a new custom trigger for my 1911 or a nice new set of Trijicon sites for my AR?

All kidding aside, if that's true, then MGW moved to the top of my list. Most of my firearms are Sigs and that speaks volumes.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

I looked around, checked out a couple .... settled on a Hurst Billet .... it's great. I did make a few different adapters trying different stick positions, really pleased with what I have now. I even reused rubber bushings instead of poly as poly just added noise without doing anything for feel or preciseness. The shifter is gonna rotate with engine / transmission under torque anyway, even with trick rear mounts that look so much more sturdy where they more sturdy ain't so needed as the rear mount just holds shifter up off driveshaft anyway.

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Finally the reverse spring is 10X harder then factory and that’s exactly what I was hoping for. It was far too easy to engage reverse with the factory shifter. If its too firm for you they include and optional spring with a lesser rate in the box.
Sounds like a great shifter ... but how does one accidently engage reverse?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Canzo116

How about the basic b&m?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Shifter Debate.