Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to make a Sacrifice...Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Default Time to make a Sacrifice...Maybe?

Ok here is My issue. Until just moment ago I had been completely content with ordering a FlowMaster Outlaw Series catback for my 13' GT/CS...Then I realized that eventually, as with everyone else, down the road I will be wanting more, and I started thinking...headers are next, and with headers comes a shorty Mid pipe, which is not included in the Catback, so for all intensive purposes I'd be purchasing a Catback just to get rid of the X-pipe a few months later. As Such I started looking at BBK Headers/Shorty x pipe, and figured I could purchase both, as well as the FlowMaster Axleback, for about 500$ more, and as such, prevent myself from wasting money on an unneeded X-pipe, My only quarrel, is dropping so much on my exhaust at once. I have a horrible issue with patience when It comes to purchasing Mods for my car...If I want it...I buy it...But I don't like the Idea of dropping so much at once...So I guess my Question is.

A.Should I purchase the Catback, keep it for a few month Until I buy headers than get a new mid pipe and try to sell off the Scavanger x-pipe that comes with the Catback.

B. Should I purchase the BBK Headers/Shorty x-pipe/Axleback, spend 500$ more now, and save my self some hassle down the road.

If I could wait a month or two to purchase I wouldn't be asing this question, but I don't see myself waiting, been on deployment for over 7 months, coming home soon and just want to Mod the car and hear it scream!

My other question Is, If I go with Option B. Do I need anything other than the Headers/X-pipe and Axle back to make it all flow? I know the Catback comes with a Midpipe, Mufflers, and new Tailpipes...Is there something I will be missing by not purchasing the Catback and swapping Midpipes? Will I require new Tailpipes or will my factory ones work with the Shorty X-pipe?

Thanks all for the input!

Last edited by FivePointToTheOh; 05-02-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 AM
AWD2RWD
1st Gear Member

I've been debating the same thing, since i dont have the funds of much patience either, if I were you I would go ahead and get the catback system then later on get the headers and sell the extra x pipe which shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AWD2RWD
I've been debating the same thing, since i dont have the funds of much patience either, if I were you I would go ahead and get the catback system then later on get the headers and sell the extra x pipe which shouldn't be a problem.
My only question is, Is installation of Headers and a Shorty X-pipe possible WITHOUT a catback system. If not, then I'll just be buying the Catback for now, If it is, Then Ill be Purchasing Headers and A Shorty X-pipe along with an Axleback system.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointToTheOh
My only question is, Is installation of Headers and a Shorty X-pipe possible WITHOUT a catback system. If not, then I'll just be buying the Catback for now, If it is, Then Ill be Purchasing Headers and A Shorty X-pipe along with an Axleback system.
Installation of headers and shorty x-pipe is possible without a catback system. For what its worth, I would spend the extra money now, get the headers and shorty x-pipe. You will get the end product that you desire AND have to do one less installation. That is assuming you do it yourself. If you have a shop do it, then you will pay for installation of the catback AND later down the road headers and x-pipe. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

If you know that's what you want, and it doesn't put you in a financial bind, spend the extra money now and get what you want.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 AM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

Save-up get Kooks Long Tubes 1 7/8" $1,000, Shorty Cated-X $450, FR axil back Sports $700. Boss intake, SCT tune, BBK 84.5mm Throttle body, and PnC the heads and you'll flow. Otherwise you'll spend all your time up-grading parts you already up-graded. You want to avoid piece-mealing your exhaust until it looks like Frankenstein and costs twice what it should have.
"Climb to Glory"
10th MTN Div(L)
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

So Lets make sure I understand this correctly....The New tail pipes that are included in every Catback exhaust system are utterly pointless? I Don't understand why they would be included if they aren't needed. As Such, I'll buy the Borla S-Type that I wanted (The axlebacks not the catbacks) and buy Headers/Mid Pipe and have all the performance gains of Headers/X-pipe/Catback system...Minus the catback system purchase.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

if you can afford it. do it now! no question, because the moment you get your catback system you will just kick yourself for not getting the headers as well. then order them up and pay shipping twice lol. So look at it that way to (save money) because you said yourself your going to do it eventually....
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Think down the line. I went through 4 different mufflers after I installed headers, then cams then a supercharger. I had no idea I would be doing all those mods when I purchased the car.............but mods happen. Buy the headers first as they will make your car much louder than stock. Then you can decide if you need a new muffler setup.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Cat-back systems are designed to bolt up to the OEM X-pipe.

Headers/x-pipe are designed to bolt up to the OEM pipes (at least the BBK parts are).

Neither the headers/xpipe nor the cat-back require the removal of the other item.

I honestly don't understand your dilemma. Buy one and then the other if that's the way you want to do it. You do NOT have to spend all of the money at the same time.

The only real decision you have to make is whether you just want to go axle-backs or cat-backs. You already have a 2.5-inch system, so you can get away with just replacing your mufflers with something that flows better. It also opens up your choice of muffers (most cat-back systems include mufflers, and you may not even like them).

Finally, I would also do the headers/x-pipe first, and then take my time selecting the right mufflers.

Quick Reply: Time to make a Sacrifice...Maybe?