Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 GT plug change success!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for sharing that tip with us. Will definitely be useful.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
Operating temp? Really? I need to do mine. 85K on my car now. Working on a hot engine doesn't sound like much fun. Or am I making too much out of that?
You wont be around anything hot other then engine heat radiating off...the plugs were too warm to hold comfortably...as for stripping the head threads...I applied progressive slow pressure when first breaking the plugs loose...they are spec'ed at 25 ft lbs...I broke them all loose at 28 or less...the spec on the TSB was dont go over 33 lbs due to possible thread damage...by the time i got them completely out the engine had cooled down over an hours time...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheStigSC
Thanks for sharing that tip with us. Will definitely be useful.
All I can say is my friend was definitive about doing it this way and my results were excellent...I hope others have the same result!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

A technician I have at my shop does the same procedure, more or less, and has never had a breakage problem either.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Plugs

When I decided to change the plugs in my '06 GT, I first tried with the engine cold per Fords TSB. I couldn't budge the plugs. I decided to just barely warm the engine. I ran it at idle for maybe 5 minutes or less. I shut it off and let it sit a bit. I was then able to get the plugs to begin to loosen. I don't know if I would do it with the engine hot though.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Going to tackle mine this Saturday... have all the tools ready to go, just in case... extractor included.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I'd love to meet the Ford engineers responsible for cylinder heads. It seems nothing has changed since the 3 thread heads on the DOHC 32Vs. ( I got the 9 thread heads on my 2004.Yipee!)

I just love reading horror stories about removing spark plugs. I read them and think, "Should I change my plugs and maybe break something, or leave well enough alone?"

Here's a goddamned suggestion, idiot Ford engineers:

When you have to issue TSBs and technical documents for removing spark plugs and when enthusiast owners post threads titled, "Holy crap! I removed my Mustang's spark plugs without causing $876 worth of damage!" it time to get another line of work.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
When I decided to change the plugs in my '06 GT, I first tried with the engine cold per Fords TSB.
You have to wonder how Ford's cold engine instructions translate to real life.

Visit your Ford dealer for new spark plugs and leave your car overnight IN THE SERVICE BAY STALL so the engine is at room temperature the next day. (No, you can't leave the car outside, because starting it to move it inside will raise the temp above ambient.) Yeah, that happens.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Going to tackle mine this Saturday... have all the tools ready to go, just in case... extractor included.
Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
You have to wonder how Ford's cold engine instructions translate to real life.

Visit your Ford dealer for new spark plugs and leave your car overnight IN THE SERVICE BAY STALL so the engine is at room temperature the next day. (No, you can't leave the car outside, because starting it to move it inside will raise the temp above ambient.) Yeah, that happens.
The expansion of the aluminum head is greater then the steel of the plug at higher temps...so the plug will naturally be a slight bit looser and the carbon buildup less solid...it seems a plausible theory to me and it worked well in my case...

Quick Reply: 06 GT plug change success!