Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2014 5.0 today - Woah

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Default Test drove a 2014 5.0 today - Woah

Title kinda says it all, but I'll be more specific. I test drove a 5.0 today just for ****s as I haven't drove one before. I was asked what kind of Mustang I'd like to drive and my response was "I don't care what color it is. All I need is a manual coupe with a 5.0".

I was brought to a 2014 sterling grey 5.0 with an appearance package (wheels, louvers, and stripe kit), the security package (reverse sensors), and the sync and tech package, as well as 3.73 gears. After he went through the sticker with me (MSRP was 34k), I told him we could nix everything except the gears as I would do my own upgrading. My *** hit the driver seat and I had a couple of initial thoughts. One: I really enjoy the refresh of the dash and steering wheel from the 2005-2009s. Two: The cloth seats were very comfortable though after sitting in the Roush in the show room, the leather seats are extremely nice. Plenty of side bolster and I really like the amount of padding in the *** of the seat. Three: I was somewhat intimidated after starting the car for the first time. Though it may not have an aggressive exhaust, I can tell by the engine note that this puppy has a ton more power than my current 4.0.

After getting in gear, the first thing I realized was how different the clutch felt. These 5.0s have a very light clutch compared to my 4.0 which to me is pretty counter-intuitive. What I didn't like is how close the clutch was compared to the gas and brake. Is this adjustable? I didn't even think to try to adjust the pedal distance. The throw of the shifter is also noticeably shorter than my 4.0.

Using only 50% throttle on the surface streets was a trip. The engine noise is intoxicating and the V8 coupled with the 3.73s definitely showed me how fun these new 5.0s can be. The brakes were firm and definitely gave me a ton of confidence that I could stop in a hurry if need be. Lastly, when I finally did punch the throttle (and I mean, WOT) to get on the interstate, I almost felt like it was too much car (but not really). This is when I finally realized that my next car will be a 5.0 Mustang whether it's a 2014 or a 2015. This is the first time I truly had complete respect for any car and treated driving with extreme caution, knowing what it's capable of and how much power is at my dispense. I can't say that I dislike 1 thing about the car other than not being used to the soft clutch. And let's be honest, I hardly paid attention to any of the electronics.

As a bonus, a salesmen fired up GT with Roush mufflers hanging out the rear. If you think they sound good online, you'll be even more delighted hearing them in person. Just about sold me on those mufflers after just hearing an idle haha.

All this being said, what would you do? I'll have 14k available at the end of December for a down payment and may or may not trade in the current ride depending on how much they're willing to offer. I'm looking at a new base mustang with maybe 3.73s if available in the color I'd like (Black, sterling grey, race red). Do I look to make a purchase on a 2014 while there's still a wider selection to choose from and knowing the incentive for dealers to sell 2015s for good prices once they're first released will be minimal while they're trying to move 2014s, or do I hold off until April when the 2015s are released and either get a base base 2015 or try to find a leftover 2014 that I like while the dealers are motivated to move them?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

This is why I haven't test drove the 13 or 14. I know I'll buy one on the spot. Lol
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Nice review of your drive and experience. What you should do is what you want. Personally I wouldn't put such a big down payment on it. I'm sure that money could be put to better use...it's your green backs but putting down more than 5k probably isn't necessary.

When I bought my 2010 GT I fell in love with the car after the first test drive (5 speed, premium w/track pack & 3.73s, dark candy red) and I worked the hell out of them to get the price down. If you can finance about $27k you'll get probably $400 per month payment through Ford credit.

Waiting for 2015 is a good idea but it will be a long time before those cars are really available without paying over sticker. Probably August or Sept. 2014 before you can order one. One other idea to have best of both worlds would be to lease the Mustang and you can get the S550 later but still enjoy your GT steed now.

Depends how bad you want it...me personally I couldn't enjoy my Altima coupe anymore after driving my first Mustang. 9 days after the test drive I drove her home..

Last edited by THS_Steed06; 05-04-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by THS_Steed06
Nice review of your drive and experience. What you should do is what you want. Personally I wouldn't put such a big down payment on it. I'm sure that money could be put to better use...it's your green backs but putting down more than 5k probably isn't necessary.

When I bought my 2010 GT I fell in love with the car after the first test drive (5 speed, premium w/track pack & 3.73s, dark candy red) and I worked the hell out of them to get the price down. If you can finance about $27k you'll get probably $400 per month payment through Ford credit.

Waiting for 2015 is a good idea but it will be a long time before those cars are really available without paying over sticker. Probably August or Sept. 2014 before you can order one. One other idea to have best of both worlds would be to lease the Mustang and you can get the S550 later but still enjoy your GT steed now.

Depends how bad you want it...me personally I couldn't enjoy my Altima coupe anymore after driving my first Mustang. 9 days after the test drive I drove her home..

You have a good point on the 2015, it could be quite some time before salesmen want to work with ya. My whole reasoning to put down such a large down payment is just to give the dealership more incentive to work with me and the fact that I don't want car payments for more than 36 months. The whole idea of buyer's remorse is keeping me right now from the thought of pulling the trigger on a 2014 but I'm also afraid of missing the perfect opportunity to buy (end of the month, end of the year, with a new model set to release next year).
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

You can get a brand new 2013 as well.. Now. Little less cost
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

You described my experience to a tee. I drove my little 4.0 to the ford dealership, found my dream 5.0 and had to drive it. (base DIB 5.0 MT82) drove the thing and I felt the same feeling you did, like I had to drive the car carefully or it would kill me. It was the biggest rush I have had in a long time. I fell in LOVE. So much love that i just couldn't bare to drive back home in my 4.0, so I left the dealership in my brand new 5.0. I have had it for a week and have driven about 650 miles and my advice to you is DO IT as soon as you can and dont look back. I feel like a douche for ever thinking my 4.0 was quick. Just half throttle is faster than my modded 4.0 could ever accelerate. It is awesome driving around feeling like you own the ****in road in your big bad *** 5.0.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

All this 5.0 talk makes me wanna go test drive and trade my gt in for one
Old 05-05-2013, 12:53 PM
HBGT

Originally Posted by drewsky
All this 5.0 talk makes me wanna go test drive and trade my gt in for one
Wait for the '15. Two words: Direct Injection
Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Sorta funny you say this about the 4.0 v6 to a 5.0 GT, cuz I right now am heavily weighing the prospect of keeping my '13 GT or the idea of a '14 GT500.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HBGT
Wait for the '15. Two words: Direct Injection
This is what's holding me back from walking away with a 2014 or slightly used 2013. That along with the new styling, lighter curb weight and IRS. As much as I really want a 2014 or 2013, I would really hate to experience buyer's remorse if come to find out the 2015 is all that and a bag of chips.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2014 5.0 today - Woah