Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing Procal tune issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
It's a shame to hear your problem with Ford tune. I was seriously considering it at one time, but now, after hearing your experience with it, I will keep mine stock.
I don't understand this mentality with all the POSITIVE feedback regarding people with custom tunes on their 5.0's. Just because the FRPP tune may suck doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bath water.

We've spent a lot of hard earned cash to buy and enjoy these cars. A good custom tune will open her up at about 2% the cost of your outlay for the car. What a shame to not go for it. If you're not pleased, return the car to stock but, damn, don't just give up. The Brenspeed and Bama tunes have been known to add 35-40 RWHP on the 5.0.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I don't understand this mentality with all the POSITIVE feedback regarding people with custom tunes on their 5.0's. Just because the FRPP tune may suck doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bath water.

We've spent a lot of hard earned cash to buy and enjoy these cars. A good custom tune will open her up at about 2% the cost of your outlay for the car. What a shame to not go for it. If you're not pleased, return the car to stock but, damn, don't just give up. The Brenspeed and Bama tunes have been known to add 35-40 RWHP on the 5.0.
Some people are OK with "out of the box". Not me. My wife says that I look at a Mustang as a good starting point. Tune it. Run it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 PM
5.0Yeah!
1st Gear Member

I am curious about one thing. do you have any other mods? You don't want to just use a plug in tuner alone without any mods. I noticed on my 2011 5.0, that the Ford Racing Pro Cal is pretty decent in combo with a Roush Intake, Helix Power tower, FR X pipe and FR Sport mufflers. Also, I would check your spark plugs, because I have heard that a lot of people have been having problems with spark plugs in the new Mustangs.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:06 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

i'd atleast give bama or breenspeed a shot
Old 05-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0Yeah!
...You don't want to just use a plug in tuner alone without any mods...
Yeah, why in the world would anyone want to BEGIN with an additional 30-40 RWHP?...

I'm sure you'll find that the vast majority of folks with non-OE tunes do NOT have other supporting, tune-required mods. If there's only one mod that you're going to do (other than FI), it's a tune, hands-down.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I am curious about one thing. do you have any other mods? You don't want to just use a plug in tuner alone without any mods. I noticed on my 2011 5.0, that the Ford Racing Pro Cal is pretty decent in combo with a Roush Intake, Helix Power tower, FR X pipe and FR Sport mufflers. Also, I would check your spark plugs, because I have heard that a lot of people have been having problems with spark plugs in the new Mustangs.
No other mods. The Ford Racing tune is calibrated for the stock air-box... adding a CAI without adjustments to the tune is probably a bad idea.

You are taking a tune that already runs lean (Ford even says this), and adding MORE air?

My beef isnt with tunes. I should have gone with my gut and had a Bama setup from the beginning. I like tunes.

My beef is with the FRPP tune.. and the fact that runs lean on purpose, and Ford is relying on the knock sensors to keep the engine alive.

I'm just going to do it right and get a custom tune. I'm lucky enough to have a local tuner that is fantastic, and knows the 5.0 very well (he has one). So ill just go right to the source and go with him.

Also, I would check your spark plugs, because I have heard that a lot of people have been having problems with spark plugs in the new Mustangs.
Perhaps people are having problems with spark plugs... because they are getting fouled from detonation? Motorcraft plugs are decent quality.. if people are having problems, it is because there is something bad going on.. like detonation.