Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust layout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
AWD2RWD
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust layout?

Hey guys just picked up my 2013 Gt and lovin it! But I want a ill more rumble and power. I'm a bit confused on the layout of the exhaust, is this how it goes= headers>x/h pipe>axle backs?

Also if I'm planning on getting longtubes later down the line should I just get axle backs now and wait till I get a x pipe/long tube package since that's how I see most of them being sold?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AWD2RWD
Hey guys just picked up my 2013 Gt and lovin it! But I want a ill more rumble and power. I'm a bit confused on the layout of the exhaust, is this how it goes= headers>x/h pipe>axle backs?

Also if I'm planning on getting longtubes later down the line should I just get axle backs now and wait till I get a x pipe/long tube package since that's how I see most of them being sold?

Thanks
Yes I would just do the axle backs now, there would be no point in doing a mid pipe as the standard mid pipes won't work with long tubes. And yeah that exhaust layout is right with the cats in between the headers and X/H pipe.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Check out American Muscle's write-up on exactly this question here.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM
AWD2RWD
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the write up answers all my questions!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

I was going to go axle back with mine. But I looked at my goal later on down the road. Which was doing longtubes and midpipe. So I ended up going with the Stainless Works Retro Cat back system. Later I can add their midpipe and longtube headers.

Here is a video of what my Mustang sounds like with just the Cat Back system.
I was going to go axle back with mine. But I looked at my goal later on down the road. Which was doing longtubes and midpipe. So I ended up going with the Stainless Works Retro Cat back system. Later I can add their midpipe and longtube headers.

Here is a video of what my Mustang sounds like with just the Cat Back system.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks
It depends how far "down the line" you will be getting the longtubes. I went with flowmaster outlaw axlebacks and LOVE the sound from my car now! If you are willing to spend some cash and have the GT rumble before you buy longtubes, then definitely buy an axleback. You might even be able to get a muffler shop to do straight pipes which will really let you hear the sound that the 5.0 can make.

The only thing about an axleback is you won't get much extra power. Add a tune to it and then you've got something. A tune can always be changed when you do buy the longtubes. Who knows maybe you'll like the rumble of the axleback so much that you won't bother with longtubes?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 AM
AWD2RWD
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
It depends how far "down the line" you will be getting the longtubes. I went with flowmaster outlaw axlebacks and LOVE the sound from my car now! If you are willing to spend some cash and have the GT rumble before you buy longtubes, then definitely buy an axleback. You might even be able to get a muffler shop to do straight pipes which will really let you hear the sound that the 5.0 can make.

The only thing about an axleback is you won't get much extra power. Add a tune to it and then you've got something. A tune can always be changed when you do buy the longtubes. Who knows maybe you'll like the rumble of the axleback so much that you won't bother with longtubes?
Well my ultimate goal is to get the most power out of bolt ons so for sure I'm gonna get long tubes eventually! I'm actually just thinking a out getting a x/h pipe for now to get a little sound and performance, if I can find a good deal on a used one.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:55 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Well my ultimate goal is to get the most power out of bolt ons so for sure I'm gonna get long tubes eventually! I'm actually just thinking a out getting a x/h pipe for now to get a little sound and performance, if I can find a good deal on a used one.
If you go that route then the x/h pipe that you buy now will not fit with your long tube headers. If you buy the right axle back then it can be left on the car with long tubes and shorty x/h pipe. From what I have read and been told, stock axle back with aftermarket x/ h pipe pipe doesn't sound good and is still quiet.

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Yes longtube headers you need to get a shorty x/h pipe. The way I look at it you spend 300 to 400 on an axle back. Or you can spend about 800 and get a really good Cat Back that's going to make a sweeter sound and save time later on down the road when you do the mid and tubes.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

If you just want axle backs that are sane when cruising and INSANE when you step on it, may I recommend the Roush Axle Backs. I got them for my car and when you get on it at about 4,000 RPM to redline, it sounds like open headers. Yet, at 2,000 on the highway, it's as peaceful as a sleeping kitten.

Quick Reply: Exhaust layout?