Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is Falling Apart: What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
This will cost you more but this is what I would do. Take it into a Ford Dealership have them go over the entire car five point inspection. This should give you a really good idea of the cars condition and whats wrong with it beyond just what its doing right now. If it's in decent shape beyond the issues your having now. Have them fix it don't get the cheapest parts that's why your having the issue again already. Cheapest fix saves money on the spot but does not really cure the problem for the long term.

I would say if you plan on really keeping this thing for the long haul put some after market rotors, calipers and pads on it. Something thats really going to last awhile. But considering it's miles and its a 4.0..... I would just go with the Ford Dealership options get everything fixed and get another 30 to 40k out of her.
Ok, I will look into having everything looked at. Good idea about trying to get another 30k out of her.

Originally Posted by outceltj
There are lots of threads with pics on how to change brakes, and rotors. even youtube can be a very usefull tool. As someone has already said these repairs are so simple a cave man can do it. Lastly 100k in debt from school. I hope she is a lawyer or doctor. Maybe an engineer that was able to get a 75k plus starting salary in her first year.

This site has numerous write ups. American muscle has plenty of videos that provide detail.
Ok, I will look into it. Something about working on brakes makes me feel uneasy, even though I am pretty good with tools. No, she did not become a doctor or lawyer. That is the price you need to pay to attend Georgetown University for a 4yr undergrad.

Originally Posted by moosestang
Some people need harsh words. You are talking about the payments, but not the cost of the car, which makes me think you can't afford it. There will be plenty of time for a new mustang in the future, but right now it sounds like you need a good, cheap reliable car. You probably don't want to know what insurance will cost in Maryland on a gt.

Depending on your credit score and salary, you might not be able to get financed for these other cars anyway. I would just fix your car and be happy your parents were nice enough to buy you a car in the first place. Nobody needs AC, you can have mine, I never use it.

You really asked you parents to help you buy a new mustang gt? really?
Of course I didn't ask my parent to help me buy a new mustang gt. I am very grateful for what they did. They just put it out on the table when I started to have car troubles.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Too many people would rather lay out $300-$500/month on car payments for the next 4-5 years than pay $500-$2000 to have things fixed right and be good for a few more years.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bones302
didn't specify if you have a 4.6 or 4.0. if it's a 4.6 I'd say, spend the money, keep it, and drive it into the ground. these are normal things to go on a car with this many miles. if it's a 4.0, I'd say get rid of it.

4.6's can easily go 200,000 miles plus with proper maintenance, but I don't think you can say the same for the 4.0s.

the items you speak of are normal repairs HOWEVER they have to be done by professionals who know what they're doing (like the AC), otherwise they will reoccur relatively quickly.
How can you say the 4.6 can easily go 200,000 plus but not the 4.0? The 4.0 has been around much longer and there is plenty of people with tons of mileage on them. Show me a stock motor 4.6 that will go 200,000+ miles supercharged and come talk to me.

Last edited by 2005Redfire6; 05-17-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

The 4.0 is a tank. The 4.6 is too.. but no more of a tank than the 4.0. There is noting wrong with the 4.0 and it will last forever... it is a truck engine after all.

Regarding student loans.. since we are all thinking out loud.. I have $90 grand.. so does my wife. We pay $800/per month in loans between us. We have good jobs as a result.. but make just enough to where we can no longer claim the interest on our taxes ;( Meanwhile, or gov just made 50 BILLION in profit off of student loans.

You cant get a good paying job anymore without an education.. undergrad doesnt mean jack anymore. Education is expensive, and not everyone wants to be a laborer.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
How can you say the 4.6 can easily go 200,000 plus but not the 4.0? The 4.0 has been around much longer and there is plenty of people with tons of mileage on them. Show me a stock motor 4.6 that will go 200,000+ miles supercharged and come talk to me.
I agree, the 4.0 is a solid motor, maybe even better than the 4.6 as far as reliability/mileage. Just look at all the high mileage ford rangers with that motor. I accept your supercharged 4.6 challenge. Unfortunately I am only at 46,000 and i'm lucky to put 6k a year, so another 25 years.

I'd consider a used 2011 3.7L v6, if you can get a decent price for your trade.

Originally Posted by Steveo555
Of course I didn't ask my parent to help me buy a new mustang gt. I am very grateful for what they did. They just put it out on the table when I started to have car troubles.
Your original post made it sound like that's how it went down. Obviously you shouldn't dump your girl friend just because she's broke, assuming she's hot, if not then dump her!

Last edited by moosestang; 05-17-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

First, 91,000 miles is not high mileage. Folks today think everything is disposable and if you have it for longer than five years it is old and run down.

Fix the AC, or just drive with the windows down. Believe it or not, man survived without AC up until the last century just fine.

Fix your brakes. They are a maintenance item.

Other than that, I don't see why the car won't last another twenty years without similar maintenance. It is a machine.

I have half a dozen cars, some have 300,000 on them, some have 7,000. Take care of them, replace the things that break and they keep going. That is what a machine does.

A financed car will run you $300 a month MINIMUM. This is WAG based on your age and debt to income ratio from your post. That is $300 a month is something that could be used better elsewhere, such as fixing your current car in under three months time. Instead of being saddled with a payment for three to six years, so you can run the car into the ground again and complain wanting a new car...

Cliffs: Learn to work on a machine, maintain it. Prosper.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
First, 91,000 miles is not high mileage. Folks today think everything is disposable and if you have it for longer than five years it is old and run down.

Fix the AC, or just drive with the windows down. Believe it or not, man survived without AC up until the last century just fine.

Fix your brakes. They are a maintenance item.

Other than that, I don't see why the car won't last another twenty years without similar maintenance. It is a machine.

I have half a dozen cars, some have 300,000 on them, some have 7,000. Take care of them, replace the things that break and they keep going. That is what a machine does.

A financed car will run you $300 a month MINIMUM. This is WAG based on your age and debt to income ratio from your post. That is $300 a month is something that could be used better elsewhere, such as fixing your current car in under three months time. Instead of being saddled with a payment for three to six years, so you can run the car into the ground again and complain wanting a new car...

Cliffs: Learn to work on a machine, maintain it. Prosper.
Amen to that! I couldn't tell you the last time I used my A/C I am actually looking for options to get rid of it.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

i would just fix the car! It's amazing how many people say they need a new car when something brakes! If you have the $$$ then it's no big deal! If you were spending a few K every couple of months i would say ya maybe getting a new car is a good idea, It;s just the cost of owning a car, there is always going to be repair bills and maintenance!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

First, fix your car, or get another one that's reliable and cheep to maintain. You sound like you have not been out of school very long. So, put your priorities where they belong, basic daily driver thats reliable and cheep to maintain. When your ready and money is not a tight issue like now, then think about a muscle car, whatever that may be.

What you can afford when your single, living with mom / dad not having many responsibilities is totally different then living on your own. Priorities and goals are everything and sticking to them.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Get involved in one of the local mustang clubs. There will be guys you can meet that know how to turn wrenches. Get one of them to help you through a brake job. It isn't that hard. I switch out the pads in my 911 in about 40 minutes. Haven't done it in the Stang yet, but it looks pretty easy. It will get track pads in June - its first outing on a road track. It looks like an hour or two job for me.

Your car will start getting more gremlins. That's the nature of a car with 6 figure mileage. They still can be really reliable. They just have to be babied a little more.

There's a lot of power and satisfaction knowing how to fix your car. At that point, even if you don't do the work yourself, you will know immediately if the work was done right. The mechanics will not be able to sell a "flux capacitor" or muffler bearings. You'll know better.

Last edited by JThor; 05-18-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Car is Falling Apart: What to Do?